Possible to build complete workshop/shed with 3x2 1.2m?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mᴀʀᴛʏɴ

Reaction score
I can get 3x2 at 1.2m at a bargain price locally around £1.50 each, which for 2.4m is £3, but the question is would it be possible to build a workshop/shed? and if so what would be the best way to join the 1.2m lengths to make them longer, but still strong?

regards
Martyn

Last edited:
Personally if 1.2m lengths was all I had I would used pegged scarf joints Best example are to be found in japenese building joinery where they are used extensively for temple building. Start your research there

Make up squares screwed together using 9mm usb/ plywood and then bolt them together? If you had one each side of a window plus a door you could have a 16ft workshop.
jewsons has 11mm board cheaper than the 9mm board, was going to order a bunch of that?

also ideally looking at going 6mx3.5mish should be possible?

A simpler alternative is to simply make the walls 1.2m high and dig out the floor.

Seriously though as it is 3x2 you might be better off doubling them up with staggered joint to make 3x4. That might work out more expensive than buying longer lengths though.

I'd say you'd be better off having at least some full length pieces, if it were me I'd be thinking along the lines of solid tops and bottoms, a solid upright a maximum of your 1.2 apart. between your solid pieces your could then have a 1.2m horizontal beam, with a vertical beam (max 1.2) high, every 0.4m above and below that mid height bar. That would give you a maximum height of 2.4m plus about 15cm (6 inch, ie three thicknesses of the 3x2) which off the top my head seems ample for the high side of a pent shed.

Id go buy 4x2 in full lengths. Wouldn't bother with 1.2m lengths, youll spend more in time mesding about than it'll cost to get 4x2 and do a proper job

I personally wouldn't, but from a theoretical point of view your short lengths would lend themselves to a geodesic dome construction

using full lengths seems to more than double the timber costs, I was going to OSB both sides, unsure going rate for 3x2 to compare it to what I was going to do, but found 3m ones for £6.26

Here you go, searched near you.... 12 quid a length, 4.8m 4x2s..... I'd definitely go down that route... stronger and easier in good lengths

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303-221858_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230303-221858_eBay.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 0
Here you go, searched near you.... 12 quid a length, 4.8m 4x2s..... I'd definitely go down that route... stronger and easier in good lengths
Still quite a way.

You could use 4.8 top middle and bottom rails and 1.2m studs in-between??

Latest posts

Back