Porter Cable 892

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IncredibleMrT

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Yesterday I bought a Porter Cable 892 fixed base router off ebay. I've been wanting a fixed base for a while and came across this which seemed too good a deal to miss. I thought i'd done my homework beforehand and assumed that I could just plug this (after changing plug of course) into a UK spec 110V site transformer. I've since realised that the voltage wasn't the only problem I had to get around - there is also the difference in frequency between the US and our supply.
A lot of articles i've read seem to suggest that a US tool will run fine but maybe get a little hot or run around 20% slower because of the 50/60Hz difference. Porter Cable do a 690 range of router that has a motor with a 25-60Hz range - mine only claims to be 60Hz.
Anyway, i'm hoping there is somebody else out there that might have bought this router from the US also and can tell me of their experience of it.
Or maybe not the PC892 but an equivalent US 120V@60Hz (somewhere near 12A) router.
Hope somebody can put my mind at rest.
Thanks for reading.
Matt

Don't know about your particular model router, but I have two Porter Cable 691 routers that I got from the US. They have operated absolutely fine for several years using a UK yellow 110v site transformer.

Mark H

Hi Mark, that's reassuring to hear. Those 691 routers have a motor that will operate between 25 and 60Hz so I had my suspicions they would be ok. Mine is only 60hz but i've got my fingers crossed.
Thanks
Matt

Most routers have a universal motor, it is in simple terms a DC motor that will run form an AC supply as well, so the chances are yours will be OK on the 50Hz supply.

Hi,
I know it's almost a year since I posted this but just thought i'd come back - the router (PorterCable 892) worked perfectly on a 110v site transformer. Couldn't have asked for more from a router - it's a joy to use after the carbuncles i've used in the past.
My only problem (and this isn't a problem with the router) is that I have fixed the base that was provided onto the underside of my router table. I would like an additional base, either fixed (8901) or plunge (8931), but am struggling to find them over here. Does anyone out there have any ideas where I can get them??

Thanks for your help.
Matt.

Don't know if this is of any help, but several years ago I bought a router from Rutlands that was advertised as Porter Cable/Flex where the descripton in the catalogue stated that the router may be either supplied as Porter Cable or Flex. Mine arrived as a Flex machine (red livery rather than grey) but is identical to the PC. It's still working fine.

I had a quick google and found several hits for Flex tools but couldn't see immediately see any routers.

Misterfish

Thanks for that Misterfish. I contacted Rutlands late last year about this. They stopped selling PC tools a good while ago apparently and didn't have any bases that would suit my router.

Latest posts

Back