Popping my Axminster Cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesmona

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title kinda suggests I am embarking on my first visit to an Axminster shop. I’m looking for suggestions for something shiny at around the £50 range in honour of my birthday on Tuesday. I’d like something for marking or measuring (not a square as I’m an engineer and have “access” to some rather nice accurate squares already).
I’m starting out on a journey to take my occasionally, badly knocked up timber projects to a slightly better level.
I’m planning a mix of hand and power tools (in that order) to go in my upcoming workshop build. Happy to post pictures or WIP if anyone would be interested.

Cheers
John

Do you have a Mitre Square. I came across these about 10 years ago Shinwa Mitre Square
I'm guessing as an engineer you also have a good range of steel rules, but what about some self adhesive types, or something more rubust you can put fix into or onto bench edges.

Colin

Do you have a Mitre Square. I came across these about 10 years ago Shinwa Mitre Square
I'm guessing as an engineer you also have a good range of steel rules, but what about some self adhesive types, or something more rubust you can put fix into or onto bench edges.

Colin
Nice idea, cheers mate, will have a pootle around and see

My advice would be to take your budget in cash and leave the plastic at home. I've been to the store at North Shields - where I guess you'll be heading - and all I can say is my bank manager is glad the Tyne Tunnel is there to deter any 'popping in'!

You have some great stuff for sale, I wish I was further into my workshop (ie actually started it) and I’d buy it

I know you said you had squares but I have found my little Bacho 6" adjustable square to be invaluable for marking and measuring. I checked it for square in the shop against another square in the shop and it was spot on and I checked it again at home against an engineering square and it was spot on. I also have quite a few other squares of various sizes and accuracy but the little Bahco is my favourite. I really must fix or get rid of the inaccurate ones :)

Looks like Festool have stopped making their internal tape measure, shame it also had a radius flip out centring arm and I did find it very useful, but look for an internal tape measure as these are more accurate than bending a tape against the corner.

Hi all,

As the title kinda suggests I am embarking on my first visit to an Axminster shop. I’m looking for suggestions for something shiny at around the £50 range in honour of my birthday on Tuesday. I’d like something for marking or measuring (not a square as I’m an engineer and have “access” to some rather nice accurate squares already).
I’m starting out on a journey to take my occasionally, badly knocked up timber projects to a slightly better level.
I’m planning a mix of hand and power tools (in that order) to go in my upcoming workshop build. Happy to post pictures or WIP if anyone would be interested.

Cheers
John

Surprisingly difficult for an engineer with all the toys. My suggestion would be two or more trestles, always come in handy for sheet or longer stock. Although making them is a nice basic woodworking exercise by itself...

Thanks for all your suggestions. I enjoyed my trip to Axminster. Have applied for a bank loan to cover the cost of half the tools I decided I “needed”.
Bought a sharpening set up in the end 👍

Back