Poplar supplier near Brighton / Wood choice for face frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
In the US they seem to use poplar a lot for face frames. I’ve got to make some cabinets, shaker style doors, and drawer boxes in the next couple of weeks. What wood would people recommend using for the face frames.

Thanks

It's quite a few years since i did any but whatever wood is being used for the rest of the project. I don't think there is any rule on it.
Regards
John

In the US they seem to use poplar a lot for face frames. I’ve got to make some cabinets, shaker style doors, and drawer boxes in the next couple of weeks. What wood would people recommend using for the face frames.

Thanks
Poplar aka Tulipwood is, easily worked, used to be relatively inexpensive and takes a good paint finish, hence its popularity.

It depends on what you want as a final finish. Poplar is good as it has virtually no grain and lends itself to painting. I often wonder if MRMDF could be used for cabinets but it seems a false economy unless anyone can enlighten me.

Redwood to me is pine, sometimes with knots and sap pockets. But the main drawbacks are it is softer and not as stable as the poplar. The latter in particular I find important as I sometimes use fairly wide sections for doors and the stuff remains very flat and seems to have low shrinkage across the width.

Colin

What are the doors made of and will they be hung on butts or Blum style hinges?

If using butts you really need to be solid wood, Tulipwood is pretty much standard for most people. Redwood has been used for years and should be okay if you can find some good quality stuff and let it acclimatise.

I have done a few recently on Blum hinges made out of MR MDF but with a timber cockbead applied to the frame which I like to think protects the vulnerable edges.

Here are some MDF face frames I'm on with at the moment, they are just alcove units, not sure if I would use this method in a kitchen.

MDF face frame.jpg

Tulip wood is your best bet. When you choose boards, sight down them and reject any with even the slightest twist. Those twisty boards can be machined flat and be made into doors... but those doors will, in time, twist themselves into propellors.

I find poplar quite soft and prone to cross grain scratching. Beech would be a better choice.

Beech. Strong and hard, like a....well let's not go into that...

Redwood to me is pine, sometimes with knots and sap pockets. But the main drawbacks are it is softer and not as stable as the poplar. The latter in particular I find important as I sometimes use fairly wide sections for doors and the stuff remains very flat and seems to have low shrinkage across the width.

Colin
Pine and contrasting cladding behind straight from a 19670's DIY magazine!🤣🤣🤣

I am very keen to use poplar as I see it used all the time for this purpose and would like to have a go with it - but I cannot seem to find anywhere local to supply it!

I live near Brighton

I’m sure lathams would deliver it to you. I’m Chichester I know covers stock it, but the website seems to indicate you have to buy large quantities.. would be well worth giving them a call though and I’ve always found them very helpful (and much keener priced if you get into contact with them)

Takes paint well like people have said, and obviously matches poplar ply nicely which is whilst still expensive nowhere near so as birch.

It is a bit soft though..

I prefer beech over tulip as is bullet and doesn't dent easy. if your struggling to get tulip then anything exotic will be a no no!

many larger suppliers have decided that Joe hobby isn't worth messing with these days. try to find a smaller outfit. it's surprising who uses who for timber. we have one big supplier locally and a few little ones one of which supplies a few kitchen makers so invariably has cabinet making stuff. the other ones just sell the usual softwood at the usual prices. the big local joiners tend to buy out of the area though. or straight from the supplier.

I assume you've tried Wenban Smith in Lewes and Horsham. I got a tulip offcut from them a few years ago but don't know if they stock it now.
Have fun
Martin

I tried Wenban Smith but they only had some in their worthing branch and werent sure what they would have there! Also they seemed quite expensive! At this rate the face frames are going to be painted oak :ROFLMAO:

I'll have a look around for beech locally maybe easier to come across.

Thanks all

I’m sure lathams would deliver it to you. I’m Chichester I know covers stock it, but the website seems to indicate you have to buy large quantities.. would be well worth giving them a call though and I’ve always found them very helpful (and much keener priced if you get into contact with them)

Takes paint well like people have said, and obviously matches poplar ply nicely which is whilst still expensive nowhere near so as birch.

It is a bit soft though..
Whoops, meant covers Chichester

Back