Poolewood DVSL lathe?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEE13

Making shavings
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a DVSL lathe. I know its oldish but it has had very light use (mostly pens) and has the higher capacity and direct drive I want for turning rough bits of tree plus electronic speed control and a price that means that I don't have to add anything to the selling price of my current lathe so I can afford it
but
I can't find any information on the net.

I am aware that it hasn't been made for some time and that can't supply any parts but I'd like to know if the bearings and other parts that might fail are generic (so can be repaired or replaced) and whether there is such a thing as a manual. It would also be nice to find a comprehensive spec for the lathe.

Any info would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

BEE13

I know someone with a DVSL which came with a manual, but there was little of any use in it so I didn't make a copy when I helped him set it up. If you really wanted a copy I can make one next time I visit the owner - but that could be several months away.
I would be VERY surprised if there is anything special about the motor bearings and if you can find a motor ID plate, it may tell you what they are; I don't remember if there's one on his.
My understanding is that exact spec may have varied occasionally but here is some info on this one:
New in 2004, S/N 103.
Motor 230V, 764W (1 hp), 0-2800 rpm, direct drive, quite torquey.
36” between centres, 16” swing over bed/centre 9” above bed, spindle M33 x 3.5mm thread, No.2 tapers
Overall L 69”, weight 105kg

Motor and drive seem quite nice.
Bed finish is poor, with pronounced grinding marks – but this may be to effect a good grip given the rather biffo headstock, banjo and tailstock clamping arrangements. Overall these arrangements work OK but are VERY agricultural.

The motor spindle is solid so use thread protector to eject spur drives.
Tailstock doesn’t have auto-eject.
No indexing.
Speed/direction controller is nice but no emergency stop.
Inverter is a Eurotherm 650 Series, Model: 450V/011/230/F/00/0/DISPR/UK/RS0/0.
I have a PDF of what I think is the correct inverter manual; PM me with your email address if you want a copy.
Duncan

Many thanks Duncan. :D That's very helpful although the "agricultural" description is slightly unnerving. :?

I will PM you.

B

Ah, I seem to have one up against the forum rules. I get this message - "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature." - and I have indeed just joined.

Is there a way round this?

I assume you tried to message someone? You have enough posts to do so now. If you didn't, if you wish to you click on the user name or avatar and you'll see the option of PM or email on the right side. If you click on the blue box on the top right you can delete (so long as the post hasn't been answered) and edit (if in your own post) or thank the member if clicking on theirs. "Like" is the middle box, quote is the other. :ho2

I’ve now collected the DVSL, installed it and had a brief play with it.

I found it quite difficult to find information on this lathe so I’m posting here the information gained from Duncan and other investigations in case it helps anyone else.

Spec:
Direct drive motor with no belts, pulleys etc.
Electronic control on moveable magnetic control box.
Digital speed reading.
Reverse possible by pressing a button.
Headstock 2MT fittings are ejected from the headstock by unscrewing the thread protector.
Tailstock 2MT is self ejecting.
Speed from 0 – 2900 rpm. Yes, 1 rpm is possible (and v e r y s l o w)
Swivelling headstock (360 degrees). No detents.
Off bed support for tool rest banjo for off centre turning. Seems very rigid and stable but not yet tested.
Headstock can be repositioned anywhere along the bed.
There is an off bed attachment for off centre turning.
Large swing over bed, max diameter 16” (410mm).
Between centres 36” (920mm).
Headstock spindle thread M33 x 3.5.
Tool rest diameter 25mm.
I've seen weight stated as 102kg but I think that refers to the lathe. The stand seems to be extra and is also heavy.

The inverter is a 650 series sold under the name of Parker. Inside, mine has a label marked “02/09” so I guess it’s a 2009 lathe.
The model number printed in the inverter gives the spec – see the 650 manual. (see the Parker site).
Mine is 650V/011/230/0/00/DISPR/UK/RS0/0. I’ve deduced the following spec.
650V Generic Volts
/011 011 = 1.1kW
/230 230 = 220 to 240V (±10%) 50/60Hz
/0 0 = Internal RFI Filter Not fitted
/00 00 = Standard Eurotherm Drives Livery
/DISPR DISPR = RS232 Keypad fitted (remote mountable).
Block 8 must = RS0 with this selection.
/UK UK = Language, English (50Hz )
/RS0 RS0 = RS232 port (drive uses RS232 Keypad)
/0 0 = Standard Product
The label gives the input current (220 – 240V) as 13.8A and 3ph output at 5.5A.

Although I’ve been told that the DVSL has a 1HP motor, the inverter spec shows 1.1kW and it’s much bigger than my Axi 1HP motor so I think it’s probably a 1½hp motor(?). There is no motor spec plate.

My first impressions:
Nice quiet torquey motor with good controls.
Lathe bed milling lines are slightly more pronounced than my Axminster but it’s smooth, well aligned and everything works well.
The tailstock and toolrest banjo slide and lock nicely (now I’ve removed the surface rust and gone over them with wire wool and oil).
The tool rest banjo assembly is quite basic but it’s heavyweight, locks absolutely solidly but adjusts and releases easily - I can’t imagine it slipping or moving unless I release it, which of course, is exactly what is needed! The rest of the lathe and fittings are fine.
The bed base and stand design could have been made quite a bit shorter to give the same usable bed length. I guess they made it longer to add to stability (which is very good).
The electronic control is good and smooth but it needs several full revolutions of the potentiometer to go from lowest to highest speeds. I can’t see a way of altering the programming to alter that but actually, it doesn’t matter much.
The spindle height on the stand is higher than my elbow so duck boards might be needed for short a***s like me.
There's no detent on the headstock so a kiss test is needed for alignment when returning it to it's normal position after having swivelled it.
The capacitors can hold charge for a short while even if turned off so pressing the start button when off could initially result in small movements.

Plusses
Smooth powerful motor
Digital control
Reverse
Big capacity
Electronic speed control enables fine work
Very stable, even without bolting down
Flexible speed control

Minuses
Sorby type modular toolrests are fine for bowls but don’t reach close enough to small diameter spindle turning items so an offset type toolrest is also needed
Speed control potentiometer is low geared
Quite large but very steady

All in all, it’s a nice lathe to use and suits my current needs so I’m happy.

Brian

I found the stop on my 28 - 40 actually misaligned the centres by 3mm. I ensured the centres were aligned with everything tightened down and put a small cut across the bottom of the headstock and the base with a 1mm disc in an angle grinder - now I just line the cuts up.

I’ve now collected the DVSL, installed it and had a brief play with it.

I found it quite difficult to find information on this lathe so I’m posting here the information gained from Duncan and other investigations in case it helps anyone else.

Spec:
Direct drive motor with no belts, pulleys etc.
Electronic control on moveable magnetic control box.
Digital speed reading.
Reverse possible by pressing a button.
Headstock 2MT fittings are ejected from the headstock by unscrewing the thread protector.
Tailstock 2MT is self ejecting.
Speed from 0 – 2900 rpm. Yes, 1 rpm is possible (and v e r y s l o w)
Swivelling headstock (360 degrees). No detents.
Off bed support for tool rest banjo for off centre turning. Seems very rigid and stable but not yet tested.
Headstock can be repositioned anywhere along the bed.
There is an off bed attachment for off centre turning.
Large swing over bed, max diameter 16” (410mm).
Between centres 36” (920mm).
Headstock spindle thread M33 x 3.5.
Tool rest diameter 25mm.
I've seen weight stated as 102kg but I think that refers to the lathe. The stand seems to be extra and is also heavy.

The inverter is a 650 series sold under the name of Parker. Inside, mine has a label marked “02/09” so I guess it’s a 2009 lathe.
The model number printed in the inverter gives the spec – see the 650 manual. (see the Parker site).
Mine is 650V/011/230/0/00/DISPR/UK/RS0/0. I’ve deduced the following spec.
650V Generic Volts
/011 011 = 1.1kW
/230 230 = 220 to 240V (±10%) 50/60Hz
/0 0 = Internal RFI Filter Not fitted
/00 00 = Standard Eurotherm Drives Livery
/DISPR DISPR = RS232 Keypad fitted (remote mountable).
Block 8 must = RS0 with this selection.
/UK UK = Language, English (50Hz )
/RS0 RS0 = RS232 port (drive uses RS232 Keypad)
/0 0 = Standard Product
The label gives the input current (220 – 240V) as 13.8A and 3ph output at 5.5A.

Although I’ve been told that the DVSL has a 1HP motor, the inverter spec shows 1.1kW and it’s much bigger than my Axi 1HP motor so I think it’s probably a 1½hp motor(?). There is no motor spec plate.

My first impressions:
Nice quiet torquey motor with good controls.
Lathe bed milling lines are slightly more pronounced than my Axminster but it’s smooth, well aligned and everything works well.
The tailstock and toolrest banjo slide and lock nicely (now I’ve removed the surface rust and gone over them with wire wool and oil).
The tool rest banjo assembly is quite basic but it’s heavyweight, locks absolutely solidly but adjusts and releases easily - I can’t imagine it slipping or moving unless I release it, which of course, is exactly what is needed! The rest of the lathe and fittings are fine.
The bed base and stand design could have been made quite a bit shorter to give the same usable bed length. I guess they made it longer to add to stability (which is very good).
The electronic control is good and smooth but it needs several full revolutions of the potentiometer to go from lowest to highest speeds. I can’t see a way of altering the programming to alter that but actually, it doesn’t matter much.
The spindle height on the stand is higher than my elbow so duck boards might be needed for short a***s like me.
There's no detent on the headstock so a kiss test is needed for alignment when returning it to it's normal position after having swivelled it.
The capacitors can hold charge for a short while even if turned off so pressing the start button when off could initially result in small movements.

Plusses
Smooth powerful motor
Digital control
Reverse
Big capacity
Electronic speed control enables fine work
Very stable, even without bolting down
Flexible speed control

Minuses
Sorby type modular toolrests are fine for bowls but don’t reach close enough to small diameter spindle turning items so an offset type toolrest is also needed
Speed control potentiometer is low geared
Quite large but very steady

All in all, it’s a nice lathe to use and suits my current needs so I’m happy.

Brian
Hi. That's a pretty comprehensive review, sound like it will work for you. My Men's Shed has had one of these donated to us, allegedly was working but on setting up the motor won't run. Same inverter on ours which displays speed change and no errors but no life in motor. Any thoughts on checking the motor or is it a goner? Ta.

I'd check the inverter first. If there no juice at the outlet cable, test the inverter. If there is check the motor. Obviously, use all safety precautions and make sure whoever does it is knowledgeable, preferably qualified.

I've also come across someone who had a similar problem to you and, I think, found that it was a connection somewhere in the inverter area.

I sold my Poolewood after a year and bought a Jet 1642. The Poolewood worked OK but was hard work - clunky and not sophisticated. Also, I couldn't get the tailstock to move easily and the alignment tested ok but never seemed perfect. The Jet is much better in all those departments but doesn't have a rotating headstock.

FifeMike: As BEE says, check the inverter output, check the motor input. Since it was working before being donated, I'd check every electrical terminal on the lathe wiring for tightness, including the inverter and the remote control - it is quite possible that a wire got pulled during the move.
Duncan

Latest posts

Back