Plywood joint thingies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the holes are for on plywood joints like this one please? I see it a lot but not sure what the point is.

baa65f3e14a26c92b0b9442b169c6f17.jpg

They may be routed (CNCd?) like that to save squaring out corners to allow the parts to go together, thus saving time. I suspect the overly extended slots might have been chosen to make an aesthetic statement, as marcros suggested, e.g., 'If I'm going to use a technique to save making time, I may as well make it highly visible rather than just enough', Slainte.

Might be so the air can get in around with the lid closed ? - also looks like there's holes whete the sections join together .

Coley

Yes very common in commercial case work, we do a lot of it. These are cnc cut so saves on tool change time hence reduces costs ect.
Say the internal dividers are 6mm ply then the whole file is drawn to optimise a 6mm compression cutter for the internal rebates and on the finger joint corners it is run passed by 6mm also.

May not make sense on a cnc file when auto change is available but these cases are produced in large numbers to different sizes and when it comes to profit vs machine time vs cost this is acceptable in the commercial sector.

Wolfey

Back