PLywood case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time2478

Reaction score
Hi im currently making a pc case from plywood as i have seen a few very good ones out there and wanted to give it a go but not being a woodworker or anything im wondering what would be the best way to join the pieces together like glue etc the shape im doing is a cube and is there any thing i could do to stop the wood from heating up to much apart from all the cooling fans that will be attached to this n just any thing use think i should know :)

If it were me I would use 12mm birch ply. I would finger joint them and use PVA glue.

But I have a router to do the finger joints with.

You too could do that, have a look on YouTube as I am sure there are some tutorials for finger joints.

Mick

I agree with Mick .. 12mm Birch ply and finger joints.

Also you will need to plan where the ventilation holes/slots will be placed, such that you achieve a good flow in (cool) and out (warm). To help with this you will need to carefully plan the location of the "hot" bits - e.g. power supply and main processors.

I would also support it on short "legs" to help the airflow. You may need to think how to prevent the case from becoming a sounding box!

HTH

Dave

As an aside, I have a mate who converted his case a few years ago by fixing oak veneered ply to his existing metal case panels. Used contact adhesive and short screws from the inside, was a little rough around the edges but he wasn't a woodworker and it was a prototype. Looked pretty good but unfortunately no pics as he's emigrated down under and he sold it I think.

Bob

Sounds like a great plan. How much space inside the box is there or will it be very tight? I'm wondering if there would be room for glue blocks inside the corners? I agree that 12mm birch ply would be ideal, but could be thinner.

Nick

Hi,

I would cheat and clad a PC case in plywood, that way you will get all the mounting points for the motherboard HDD etc and screening/earthing.

Pete

There shall be still quite a bit of space in the case once all components are placed in the case the case im going to do is 2 sides 605mm wide other 2 will be 600mm wide and all will be 300 mm tall and a top and bottom piece as well to finish off the cuboid shape .thats just a pic of the wood i have for the sides so u can get a better idea if what im working withing and looking to join together asap so all the help is greatfully appreciated guys :)

Attachments

• rps20130311_124938.jpg
    rps20130311_124938.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 80
I'd use triangular section lengths of batten inside the corners as glue blocks if you've got room, though cladding the original makes sense too.

Back