Plywood and paint!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just starting to convert a campervan. Plywood is obviously robust and easy to use but...
I want to paint most of it, with good prep and materials can I get it look 'not homemade'?
What should I expect, could I make it look like a plastered wall at home?
Thanks
Steve

depends on the ply and your finishing method! I actually prefer ply over mdf for finishing with a water based system. as for type of ply I'm using maple faced poplar which is amazing. but birch as also superb.
then I spray filler primer then I prefer water based pu pigmented lacquer.
try to use a system that needs little if any water adding to thin the paint. air assisted airless or just airless

I used a Wilko hi build primer on a recent project then a top coat. The primer flattened down really well.

materials are best hard. no use putting hard paint over soft material. pu is considerably tougher than acrylic. birch ply and pu paint would be really tough.(and a beautiful finish of course)
a finish completely lacking in grain requires a couple of coats of filler primer heavily sanded back at least.

Attachments

• 1686127965576355296599451794029.jpg
    1686127965576355296599451794029.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Use Poplar ply where you can, it is lightweight and on doing the whole build its important to keep the weight down.
very rewarding doing a conversion. I'm still using my 4th conversion a 2000 Lt35.

Good luck, Steve.

Attachments

• OVER SIDE DOOR.JPG
    OVER SIDE DOOR.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Offside main.jpg
    Offside main.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
Use Poplar ply where you can, it is lightweight and on doing the whole build its important to keep the weight down.
very rewarding doing a conversion. I'm still using my 4th conversion a 2000 Lt35.

Good luck, Steve.
Nice conversion, great van before the electronics started going silly!!

Poplar ply ( mostly from China PRC ) is also what is mostly available ATM, and is a reasonable price. Actually it is about the price that birch ply was a couple of years ago prior to Russia invading the Ukraine.Whereas Birch ply is since that ongoing event harder to get ATM, and is expensive ( compared with the 2 year ago price ) when available.

I did my van back in the states with plywood. I recommend bondo anywhere you need to fill. Everything is going to vibrate so putty won't work. My go to finish for ply is 2 coats of sanding sealer and 2-3 coats of an alkyd paint (think you call it eggshell here). I lived in it for 6 months traveling across US during lockdown. Paint still looked great when I sold it.

Attachments

• IMG_7007.PNG
    IMG_7007.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Back