Plunge/Circular Saws + Rail Systems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just about to embark upon a job where I need to cut down some 2440x1220 veneered board nice and fast and accurately.

Looking to invest in a good circular or plunge saw and rail system.

The thing is I want to be able to get the full 2440 length so the rail and sizes are important.

Another question is with the Festool TS55 and other saws whats the actual working depth of cut, as I don't trust what they say on the box.

Thanks and regards,
George

George, the clue is in the name of the product - TS55! :D :wink:

If you can afford one of the Festool saws though, I'm sure you won't regret it - don't forget, Tommy has one of those; you could always ask him for an opinion. :wink: I noticed recently that the Makita saw was on special offer recently. Comes with two 1.4m rails - I assume they just clip together somehow... The DeWalt is also available with a similar offer.

You should find a plunge saw is more versatile than a cheap circular saw. You can start and plunge cut from anywhere along the board with a reduced risk of kickback and, because the blades are of a smaller diameter, buying spares and replacements should work out cheaper, too.

I don't know how these other plunge saws (Makita, DeWalt, Mafell) compare to the Festool though. Best man to ask there would probably be Andy King. He did a group test of these in Good Woodworking a while back and, hopefully, he might be reading this...? :D

...What's wrong with your table saw?! :roll: These saws will do a good job but, for me, there is no more efficient method for accurately cutting sheet material.

OPJ":ss7prdfu said:
George, the clue is in the name of the product - TS55! :D :wink:

Not as simple as that OPJ as stated above its 50mm for the ts55 the rail takes off 5 mm.

George,

You could get two 1400 rails and joiners as I did when I bought mine a few years back or if you can transport it ok a 2700 rail will rip a full sheet ok.

You need to allow for starting the cut and ending the cut when selecting the length rail you need.

Even the small 800 rails come in handy I used mine to cut a nosing off a staircase in-situ.

What about the mafell saws. Saw them at the north of England woodwork show a couple of weeks back. Particularly liked the KSS400. Looks a lot more versatile than the festool models. Axminster now stock them, so there should be plenty of info for them on there.

OPJ":7u3fcx2a said:
Comes with two 1.4m rails - I assume they just clip together somehow...
All rail systems need joiners, the Festool rails are designed to be used with two ideally. These should be supplied, but it's always worth checking. One thing that is needed is a couple of Festool's overpriced clamps to hold the rails onto the work in certain instances - such as trimming a 44mm thick (30 minute fire rated) door to length. The 800mm is also useful for that purpose

FatFreddysCat":3ltg3f19 said:
One thing that is needed is a couple of Festool's overpriced clamps to hold the rails onto the work in certain instances

You say over priced but when I bought all my kit I found a pair of Festool normal clamps at around £18 were probably the cheapest ones compared to Dewalt, Metabo, Makita, Mafele etc

SNight":3qf6xqi3 said:
Particularly liked the KSS400. Looks a lot more versatile than the festool models.

There not really they have a few more gadgets on them but nothing really that much better. I like the way the pointer/depth guage swivels around to allow for on/off rail use but again thats not important just a gimmick as I dont use mine off rail anyway.

chippy1970":2ker9wjr said:
SNight":2ker9wjr said:
Particularly liked the KSS400. Looks a lot more versatile than the festool models.

There not really they have a few more gadgets on them but nothing really that much better. I like the way the pointer/depth guage swivels around to allow for on/off rail use but again thats not important just a gimmick as I dont use mine off rail anyway.

The kss400 comes as standard with the short cutting rail that locks off at all angles for trimming, it also comes with the roll up flexi rail as standard. Im not sure, but i don't think the festool comes with similar attatchments. Then it can also be used with mafells bigger rails. I know the festools are very good, but in my own opinion I would go for the mafell as I think it is more versatile straight out of the box.

SNight":rzf3p237 said:
The kss400 comes as standard with the short cutting rail that locks off at all angles for trimming, it also comes with the roll up flexi rail as standard.
Can you post a link to it with all the kit? The ones I've found don't come with a long rail or flexi rail, and are more expensive than the festool.

I have got mixed up with the KSS300. Sorry, my mistake. Your right the KSS400 doesn't come with a flexi rail and the 1.6m track is more expensive than the festool version. I still like this saw though as i like the short 400mm rail with the angle lock. Although they do the MT55CC, that is very similar the Festool TS55, for £448.98 (Axminster) which comes with a 1.6m rail, compared to the Festool at £432.40 (Axminster) with a 1.4m rail. Sorry about the miss information on the last post.

No worries. As per my plunge saw thread, I'm about to buy one. The Mafell (MT55CC) and Festool both seem excellent and if the KSS400 was with all that gear for the same price as the Festool it could've bene enough to tempt me away from the DeWalt deal.

I've been through loads of reviews online, and without the Mafell, the Festool seems to pip the DeWalt and Makita when the prices are the same, but it's not that clear cut (see this review). With the DeWalt about £200 less than the Mafell/Festool, I think it's better value (I appreciate that doesn't mean it's for everyone). The Makita is a little less still, although some of the reviews put it s bit behind the others.

Triggaaar":1jp4z45w said:
No worries. As per my plunge saw thread, I'm about to buy one. The Mafell (MT55CC) and Festool both seem excellent and if the KSS400 was with all that gear for the same price as the Festool it could've bene enough to tempt me away from the DeWalt deal.

I've been through loads of reviews online, and without the Mafell, the Festool seems to pip the DeWalt and Makita when the prices are the same, but it's not that clear cut (see this review). With the DeWalt about £200 less than the Mafell/Festool, I think it's better value (I appreciate that doesn't mean it's for everyone). The Makita is a little less still, although some of the reviews put it s bit behind the others.

Just buy the Festool, the build quality and design are way above the Dewalt and Makita take mine and many other peoples words for it.

I have had the TS55 for 2 years now and cannot fault it in anyway.

But not everyone's saying the quality and design is way above the DeWalt. Most people are saying it's better, but not necessarily £200 better.
Maybe George will go for the Festool, if you can afford it and use it a lot, I'm sure it's very nice.

Triggaaar":2db55mto said:
Most people are saying it's better, but not necessarily £200 better..

Exactly. Money no object - go for the Festool. If you're like me - go for the DeWalt.

The difference between them IMHO doesn't justify an extra 200 quid when you can achieve the same result with both. Of course, if you like your tools green and black then it's a different story...

Thanks for the great reply guys.

Basically the deposit cleared at first thing in the morning when I checked at about 9:00am and I got so excited I found myself sitting in my car at around 9:25 with a big Festool box in the passenger seat!

Glad I bought it though had a little tinker with it and it seems fantasic. The time it will save me on this job alone is probably worth the money I paid.

Another nice thing was that I got talking to the guy who runs the shop and he is a friend of my old neighbour so I got to hear about some friends that I haven't seen in years and he gave me another 1.4m rail and the joiners in trade for the rail bag!

Very happy and saved myself about £70-80 and seeing as I only work in the workshop its not like I need a case.

Again thanks for the help, I'll post some pics of the jobs when its done.

Regards
George

Sounds good. So what did you get (TS55, 2 rails, joiner, no clamps?) and how much did you pay?

Got the saw TS55, two 1.4m rails and the joining pieces for £450, not bargain of the century but still saved me something.

Well Festools aren't cheap so I doubt it's easy getting a bargain, but that sounds pretty good. £90 more than the DeWalt, and just missing the clamps (I know you often don't need them, but you're bound to need them at some point). Have you searched for a cheap pair?

Back