plum crazy, what else?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Not wanting to hi jack someones thread I wondered what, food you either loved or hated.
Somebody put on pics of a plate of lovely plums on another post, looked delicious, then spoiled it for me, cooked and stewed Them, the heartless person. :shock:
I hate cooked plum, plum jam etc and another pet hate is Broad beans, hate them too!
As a kid, I was once quite ill in hospital and the sister gave me grief as I wouldn't eat the 'orrible things!
Regards Rodders

I love broad beans. But they must have the tough skins off and the green beans split and lightly cooked in butter.
Can't stand walnuts.

Cucumber. If someone has made a sandwich and cut it in half using the same knife that cut the cucumber, I can still taste the horrible things! Disgusting.

On the other hand, cauliflower - mmm!

blackrodd":6xpm00mm said:
I wondered what, food you either loved or hated.
Somebody put on pics of a plate of lovely plums on another post, looked delicious, then spoiled it for me, cooked and stewed Them, the heartless person. :shock:
Rodders

Totally agree, nothing better than a fresh ripe plum and nowt worse than a prune.

Additionally any form of offal causes me to wretch (I think it's psychological).

blackrodd":pwyeexw0 said:
Not wanting to hi jack someones thread I wondered what, food you either loved or hated.
I hate cooked plum, plum jam etc and another pet hate is Broad beans, hate them too!
As a kid, I was once quite ill in hospital and the sister gave me grief as I wouldn't eat the 'orrible things!
Regards Rodders

It was me with the plums, PM me your address and I will send you a jar of plum lime and ginger jam that might just change your mind.

Pete

Kalimna":1ogkoucz said:
If you get broad beans young enough, they're delicious simply podded and eaten fresh. When they get older I agree de-skinning is essential...

And appallingly fiddly work!

My sister (a rather good cook) spent a while doing dinner party cooking
for people, and I got roped in to skin the broad beans.

For eight people.

I've never forgotten it. :evil:

Food I love - same as everybody else, probably; parma ham, pancakes, Swiss chocolate, beef shin stew with dumplings.

BugBear

Hard to beat: fresh tomatoes
Hard to eat: grilled/baked tomatoes

Only thing better than a fresh plum is a fresh greengage!

Cheers, W2S

I love virtually everything apart from 'used food' i.e. tripe. It's absoloutly disgusting and there is more here than there in the U.K.

Foie gras is one of my favourites along with smoked salmon. Both not expensive here. The prunes the French do are totally different and fantastic. Moist and very tasty. I also love oysters, but they have started to dislike me. They are one good way of giving me a TOTAL clear out for a couple of daze though!

Magret de canard, duck breast. If you're starving then a complete one, but normally one between the 2 of us and total heaven!!

I could go on for ages.

Racers":2fto7gs9 said:
blackrodd":2fto7gs9 said:
Regards Rodders

It was me with the plums, PM me your address and I will send you a jar of plum lime and ginger jam that might just change your mind.

Pete

Ooh, ooh! Yes please, Mr Pete - Absolutely love plums in all forms. Ginger and Lime addition must be heaven!
I'll PM my address in case Mr Rodd not interested.
Greg

I hate lychees. As far as I know, I like everything else I've tasted.

A bowl of broad beans with lashings of butter, followed by plum crumble would be heaven. I don't like the taste or texture of avocado pears and cannot eat raw celery without retching.

When it comes to meat I won't eat anything with less than two legs or more than four ... :lol:

Plum pie is lovely and agree about young broad beans or double podding the older ones. Flageolet beans cooked in white wine and chicken stock are nice.

Loves - Roquefort, Cornish Blue, pasties, clotted cream, prunes, liquorice, Marmite, anchovies, home made Seville orange marmalade. Made some yesterday with demerera and treacle, it's nearly black :D . Dislikes - fat on beef, polenta, nearly all curry.

I love fresh bread, just slightly warm with most things, cheeses or home made orange curd, or lemon curd.
My mother got the recipe from the early 1950s Rayburn cook book, we also use the green bean chutney recipe and
many others.
Rodders

Racers":p2zet4nv said:
blackrodd":p2zet4nv said:
Regards Rodders

Pete

PM Sent! many thanks for the offer, does sound interesting.
I have thanked you for you're post and also reported you to the mods for being a very kind and generous person.
Regards Rodders

A few months ago I started to make my own sausages, having lost our last butcher in the town.
The first batch was good, batches 2 & 3 were edible but not great, batch 4 is just excellent I did half as plain and half with tomatoes. And another half mixed with lamb and wrapped in caul fat rather than hog casings. They are Cypriot Sheftalia and absolutely delicious.

Racers":jn6chh1i said:
blackrodd":jn6chh1i said:
Regards Rodders

Pete

This Plum lime and ginger jam arrived today, I had a quick taste and it's not as "plummy" as plum jam is, which is a good start for me.
The toaster normally gets well used on weekends, so I'll report back to the very kind man wot sent it, after Sunday's breakfast, Many Thanks to Racers.
Rodders

Back