Plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just acquired a Stanley No 50 plough plane in excellent condition, however using it is almost impossible as it jams in the cut/groove after a few passes. I have stripped it and checked it but no problems are apparent. Has anyone got any ideas or advice please.

Pete.

I do try, honest

The skate that the cutter rests on needs to be set slightly narrower than the particular cutter you are using. If it's set wider, the skate seizes in the kerf almost immediately.

Check that the fence is locked square to the skate(s)

If the skates aren't parallel, they can form a wedge shape. Maybe that's what jams it up.
Also, remember to start ploughing at the farther end of the groove. Starting at the closer end will make the plane gouge into the wood so deep it can no longer cut ("jam").
Sam

Also check the angle of the iron, should be 35 degrees. I had the same problem with my record 44 and ended up regrinding the irons as they. That gave the same symptoms. Before the regrind the smaller the iron the deeper (1/8) it would cut. If not as mentioned try Alf's site. Maybe a photo or two would help diagnose?

Matt

Thank you all for your replies/advice, I can see that the front of the plane is narrower than the rear when the cutter is in place; thereby as mentioned forming a "wedge", if I remove the cutter all is well. I am beginning to wonder if the "groove/s that the cutters sit in has been incorrectly machined. I will attempt to post some pics.

Pete

Latest posts

Back