Plough plane storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":1r1v0n0s said:
BTW, where did you get your Avatar image?
I drew it some years ago when I was infected by the terrible virus piallensis and chose my favorite model for avatar...

My general preference is to keep things simple and spend no more time than is necessary on making custom fitted boxes, so several of my plough planes are now in shoeboxes or similar so that they can fit onto shelves.

Planes with lots of bits do need a box, so I did make one when I got a Stanley 55; fans of fine box making can look away now; this was made quickly out of recycled materials and would not win prizes in a dovetailing competition. However, it does hold all the bits. As many 55 owners will know, once you have got all the bits into the box, it rarely feels worth getting them out again...

IMG_3083_zpsdbe68647.jpg

IMG_3082_zps3f0bc40f.jpg

I was quite pleased at the way the handle on the auxiliary fence tips down, making the fence wedge the boxes of cutters in position.

My one other tip is that the arrival of fancy electronic goods into the house can be a good thing for the hand tool enthusiast!

IMG_3084_zpsdd2871f2.jpg

Wonder what I can get into an IPhone 5c case?

Pete

If you don't want to make your own boxes, how about these packaging boxes for fruit?
tool fruit boxes 2.jpg

tool fruit boxes 1.jpg

These are for cherries and are just the right length for chisels, and an assembled combo plane just about fits. They are quite sturdy and stackable. One is normal corrugated cardboard but the other one is a sort of hardboard that has both sides smooth.

Attachments

• tool fruit boxes 1.jpg
    tool fruit boxes 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • tool fruit boxes 2.jpg
    tool fruit boxes 2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,212
:oops:

With a lot of shame I show you this step. Pallet wood and rough work, not beautiful but functional

portap.jpg

Missing the back and the door, and yes also the 78 and 778 :lol:

Thankyou, Leo.

mu":178g80gg said:
Pallet wood and rough work, not beautiful but functional

Missing the back and the door, and yes also the 78 and 778
Your design allows for any size of wooden screw-on fence (which my boxes lack). Now I want to see what ideas you come up with to store extra arms, and extra cutters.

Cheers, Vann.

Leo,
Are you sure that storing them effectively clamped to the storage rack (wood) like that is not going to potentially cause rust on the contact surfaces? I would have thought some air circulation would be necessary to reduce that possibility.

Vann, there is a lot of space behind the planes and in the sides. Surely the wood box with the Stanley 50's blade (the largest one) will place below.

Mike, thanks for your question, I had not thought to that. I haven't big problem with rust in my shop but if will happen I'll search a solution.

Thank you :D

mu":2awv0g5j said:
:oops:

With a lot of shame I show you this step. Pallet wood and rough work, not beautiful but functional

portap.jpg

Missing the back and the door, and yes also the 78 and 778 :lol:

Thankyou, Leo.

I'd never noticed the large difference in handle angle between the #044 and #050 before - thank you!

BugBear

I bought this 043 and it came with a user made box. It's got a fitting to hold the plane still but still allows it to be quickly taken out.

Attachments

• 043 in box ani .gif
    043 in box ani .gif
    163.3 KB · Views: 461
  • 043 in box.jpg
    043 in box.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 461
Back