Please show me your....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oryxdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
homemade crown guards with dust extraction. I am about to make an improved one for my Altendorf saw. I haven't found anything I think that will be sufficient so I'm hoping for inspiration!
Thank you Simon

If your existing crown guard has a small extract pipe you could try hooking this pipe to a small portable extractor Bosch/Festool or similar. I have just done this with my Felder and it has transformed the workshop. So now I have my main extractor plumbed in system that extracts under the saw and a Bosch connected to the crown guard. I spent two days cutting MDF without having to use a face mask. When I finished the 25 litre bag on the Bosch was full and ways a tonne.

I have tried that. I think it just isn't big enough, the dust tends to get thrown past it rather than into it.

Simon

With my SIP saw the extraction port is behind the riving knife. Although this catches some of the dust a lot is spat out forwards with the direction of the spinning blade. On my previous saw the crown guard had no dust extraction port so I cut one right over the top of the blade. This worked much better and caught a lot of the dust.

Hi Simon,

Made this for my Wadkin, which arrived without a crown guard. It has an aluminum rise & fall mechanism which is fixed to the ceiling. The dust extraction is on the front as this seemed logical as the dust is traveling towards the front of the guard.

CIMG4007.jpg

HTH, cheers.

ooo Doug that looks good. Can we have a closer pic? That would be perfect for my setup, just what I was looking for.

I assume that's brush strip along the bottom. How is the perspex joined? Are the alu parts 'off the shelf'??

sorry for so many questions. ;)

Thanks Doug.
How do you find it works?
I have been considering making mine wide enough so that the blade can be tilted and still covered, that way I can have a 4" hose going to it.

Simon

Oryxdesign":3shd7vo1 said:
Thanks Doug.
How do you find it works?
I have been considering making mine wide enough so that the blade can be tilted and still covered, that way I can have a 4" hose going to it.

Simon

The panel saw at college I use has two guards, one for square cuts and the other for when the blades tilted. depends how often you cut thin strips, id find the wider guard annoying.

JHB

having a couple is a good idea. For very thin ripping, I guess you could make one up that was very narrow without DE.

wizer":2m1hyk1l said:
having a couple is a good idea. For very thin ripping, I guess you could make one up that was very narrow without DE.

thats a very good idea, when i'm at home ripping narrow strips i end up taking the guard off, bit naughty really..

JHB

jhwbigley":18vdvqm1 said:
bit naughty really..

JHB

yes, only a bit really. As long as you are fully alert then it should be fine.

Tom

The wooden parts are Oak, the perspex is screwed to the Oak & the brush is just a draught excluder cut to fit.

The ally rise & fall is off a scrap machine i found at a mates, they might be available to buy separately, i don`t know.

Simon

It works well when cutting mdf sheets, which is what i made it for, you do get some spillage when cutting small pieces of timber, but it`s better than nothing & it keeps my fingers away from the blade :)

JH

Got them doors made yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Doug:

That looks like a vintage DeWalt radial arm saw in the background. I say
vintage because it is a dead ringer for mine which I bought new in 1958 & which was invented & manufactured by American Machine & Foundry before they sold the DeWalt line of tools to Black & Decker.

Lee

Back