Please assist with the identuty and age of the following tools:-

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel John

Established Member
Reaction score
These tools have recently being aquired at an auction in the USA. Please see the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6679.JPG
    IMG_6679.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6680.JPG
    IMG_6680.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6719.JPG
    IMG_6719.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6690.JPG
    IMG_6690.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6691.JPG
    IMG_6691.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 0
How long is a piece of string :giggle:

A gut feeling is that they look to be late Victorian/ early 20thC.Some of the drop forged items - those with embossed letters in the side - look to be later. though the process was I believe, in use during the late Victorian period.

Some of them look to be early automotive items. I'm sure someone with a lot more 'nowse' than me will come along and identify some of them

Last edited:
I think some of those tools look like those used by thatchers on roofs to lay down the straw. And some also look tools which a cooper (barrel-maker) would have. When I was a young lad I did work in a misheard where the cooper made up and repaired the barrels for the herring, so some of these look familiar.

A mixed bag. Not particularly woodworking either. I see some farm like tools and what look like fids for splicing rope. A bunch of valve spanners or keys that may be railway connected and a lot of stuff that quite frankly I have no idea about.
Regards
John

The wheel in the first photo could be a Wheelwrights Traveller, used to measure the circumference of the iron tyres. Possibly Coopers used these as well. It's certainly a mixed bag - interesting though.

I would think that what defines these is the collector who thought they were be interesting, not one single trade. eg some specific to wagon/wheel making along with a variety of multipurpose cast/wrought hammers - seems completely unlinked?

You'd have to show them a few at a time or get an expert to look at 'em

An interesting collection I see a hammer and several whydyabuyits.

Second pic appears to have a side axe, barking iron and a few types of draw knife. Chains with hooks look like log lifters, or may be used with a pole in a similar way to a cant hook

Back