Platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a few boards of yew
they are about 40mm thick
i am thinking of making some platters
can anyone suggest best way of "chucking" these please
I thought about face plate but will short screws hold this?

Steve

Glue blanks on to scrap wood to take the screws. Plane it off when you have finished.

Use a shallow recess or spigot, 4 to 5mm or thereabouts should suffice depending on size and balance of blank, size of jaws, rotation speed etc, or as Jacob suggests glue some scrap on and reverse turn after to shape the base.

Cheers, Paul

SteveF":c3nhtul1 said:
i have a few boards of yew
they are about 40mm thick
i am thinking of making some platters
can anyone suggest best way of "chucking" these please
I thought about face plate but will short screws hold this?

Steve

Mount on wood block Hot Glue screw chucks, if you seal the first side you can carefully clean off second block from this side from finished surface.
Or if you have a scroll chuck with dovetail jaws 40mm is more than thick enough to take a shallow dovetail socket if you mount on Glue block to form initial dovetail.

These were produced from 25mm stock using the latter method.
DSC01054.JPG

Here's a similar project

I recently made a platter just under 23" in diameter from a 2" thick blank. That was initially mounted on a faceplate. I turned the back and cut a 4" spigot so I could hold it in a chuck to turn the front face. Then I used a vacuum chuck to hold the platter while I turned away the chuck spigot. I guess I could have used the vacuum chuck and not bothered with the chuck spigot at all but I wasn't taking any chances with that one!

How big will the platter be Steve. If it is of the right size that the standard jaws will hold I use a forstner bit and drill a hole the correct size for the jaws then turn the outside making a new chucking point before turning over and doing the inside. This is great for wood which starts in plank form

Steve you do not say what the diameter of the platter/s will be. I have made many plates 320mm diameter and bigger and held the 25m-50mm blank with a chuck set in a 55mm diameter 3mm deep recess with no problem. I say no problem if you treat the blank the same as you would a lady gently. Your gouges have to be sharp and take cuts you feel safe with and above all take your time do not rush. Dalboy is spot on with his advise. Regards Roger C

Dalboy":3d9825c8 said:
If it is of the right size that the standard jaws will hold I use a forstner bit and drill a hole the correct size for the jaws then turn the outside making a new chucking point before turning over and doing the inside.

Exactly what I do too, on bowls as well, quick and easy and very efficient :)

Cheers, Paul

Back