Help please in Northamptonshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning all. I am trying to make some wooden platters and am trialling some end grain turning. I have a piece of Elm that I have turned two spigots on either face. The next plan is to saw this in half, but need to find someone with a bandsaw who would be able to resaw this for me to make two platters. The piece is about 260mm in diameter and way too big for mine! If you could help me with his I’d be really grateful, and prepared to part with cash if required!!

With kind regards

Shedman (just outside Kettering)

I wouldn’t want to use a bandsaw on a circular object. There’s too much risk that the saw blade will grab it, and drag your fingers into the blade. What about putting it back on your lathe, and cutting a groove as deep as you can with a parting tool. Then cut the rest of the way with a saw.

I wouldn’t want to use a bandsaw on a circular object. There’s too much risk that the saw blade will grab it, and drag your fingers into the blade. What about putting it back on your lathe, and cutting a groove as deep as you can with a parting tool. Then cut the rest of the way with a saw.
Thank you for the advice! Your suggestion was my second choice, but I’m not sure if my parting tool is long enough. However, it might give me a “need” to buy a new one!!

That would be a bit of a liability on something of that diameter.

Hot melt it to some scrap to it to stop its rolling when the bandsaw blade snatches - which it will. It should have been parted first.

Thank you for the advice! Your suggestion was my second choice, but I’m not sure if my parting tool is long enough. However, it might give me a “need” to buy a new one!!
Could you not do the initial parting chisel work to the max depth and then continue with a handsaw whilst it revolves ?
Cheers, Andy

Please don’t put a handsaw in a 260mm piece that is being spun on the lathe!

OK if lathe is off and you turn the piece by hand as you saw.

Back