Plastic Record vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about a yelow plastic vice, made by Record?I have one, but have never seen one before, and wondered if it is worth keeping?

It appears to be quite well made, but it is plastic. However it does appear to be that posh plastic stuff (high impact? High strength?) Whatever, anyone know anything?

It is brand new, all packaged, and I wondered if it was worth me putting it in E-bay? Maybe a collectors piece? :lol:

Cheers

Neil

I have one too and have never used it either. There was a restoration programme on the TV where they bought antiques at auction, did them up and sold them back at auction inveriably never making a profit. I forget the name of it but the same guys done programmes with Tommy Walsh. Anyway he has one and swore by it so when I saw one at a boot sale for £3 I bought it. It comes with a slide on base you screw to the bench but even that sits too proud. I had intended to inset this into the bench but never got around to it. I really should install it or get rid but since I bought it 5 years ago and havn't used it yet, I doubt I'd miss it.

That said I'd love to make a guitar (acoustic) in the future and was thinking that the soft jaws might be good for holding the neck etc but as yet, this is on the "to do" list. It's the only reason I'd keep it.

I have one, it must be at least 10 years ago when I bought it. I found it quite useful when I first started out, using a door as a bench. Never touched it since I built a bench with a proper vice, although I keep thinking one day it would be useful for something!

Cheers, Ed

p111dom":2ggpe9mi said:
There was a restoration programme on the TV where they bought antiques at auction, did them up and sold them back at auction inveriably never making a profit. I forget the name of it but the same guys done programmes with Tommy Walsh...

That would be Restoration Man with Alan Herd (he's popped up in just about every British woodworking/DIY program on those channels, bar Great British Woodshop and the older ones). Doubt you'll still see this program on Discovery now but, if you can find it available to watch online, it's worth it. :)

I've got to admit, I nearly bought one of those vices myself when I saw Alan using it! :roll: :oops: :D

i have one of those vices they are good when new but when old are c*ap try cutting a big peice of wood and see what happens

the base has to be screwed down with bic screws

a good point with is is that you can take it off :D

bob321

OK - nice one guys. I will try setting the base connecting plate into the bench so that when I take it off the mount it is not in the way. WIll this work? Can't see why not.

Thanks folks

Neil

I thought the theory was that you could take the vice to the work, so if you're doing something in the loft you can use the vice there, rather than going back and forth to the workshop.

That said, I've not got or used one...

Latest posts

Back