Planning a project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillamb168

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

We're planning on redoing our kitchen. In its current state it is actively trying to kill us - opening one drawer will cause the drawer on top to open as well, hitting you in the head... Or pulling on a door that seems stuck causes the door to rip off and hit you in the shin...

As we also have another baby on the way, we would like to do whatever possible to make sure that the redo happens in an orderly fashion. Thank you for holding your laughter till the end.

How do you all typically go about large projects like this? Do you use any software for planning cut lists etc?

Hi, if you go down to B and Q or Wickes and show some interest in possibly buying a kitchen, they will send out someone to measure up and produce a computer drawing along with a list of cabinet sizes! It should be quite easy from there - hope this helps

Are you making it all from scratch? Could you buy the carcasses over there and just make the doors?

In theory you could make a drawing of your cabinets using SketchUp and using one of the plug-ins, create a Cut List...

Scoffy":2ym6lsmp said:
Hi, if you go down to B and Q or Wickes and show some interest in possibly buying a kitchen, they will send out someone to measure up and produce a computer drawing along with a list of cabinet sizes! It should be quite easy from there - hope this helps

As keen as they are to make a sale, I don't think they will travel to Northern France for it.

Sometimes a bit of fettling can put a lot right. Though it depends on the quality and the abuse of the main bits. Retightening or adjusting hinges, replacing runners, maybe putting new doors on etc. I replaced two worktops in our kitchen, the better half painted all the doors and once I've been around to fettle it'll be nearly as good as new (I only started two years ago, so I've not had much time :oops: ). Maybe if a baby's on the way this could be an adequate stop-gap to prevent you living in chaos till it's 18. However, if the structure itself is all naff then you're faced with more work. Do you need a fitted kitchen? I seem to remember there being lots of second-hand sheds around France flogging all sorts of furniture. Can you get some stand-alone units there. Maybe you may only need to fit and plumb in a sink and washer and fit stuff around these. Good luck and congratulations :D

The kitchen is about 30 years old and I'm sure there is water damage and who knows what else, plus the sizes of the carcasses themselves are just not up to snuff, so we can't get away with upgrading fronts anymore, unfortunately.

I really really like the 'contact a professional and ask for drawings' idea but wonder if it wouldn't be perhaps more honest just to see if I can pay someone to measure things out. Honesty being the best policy and whatnot.

And yeah Grayorm we will be doing away entirely with the above-counter cabinets, only a few open shelves for some nice beer glasses.

Back