Planing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: I think LOML would be a bit startled to open the 'fridge in the morning to find it full of hand planes all carefully wrapped in plastic bags!

My mind is starting to boggle anyway. Is precision and accuracy to this degree really necessary and will we all end up working wood only in strictly temperature-controlled atmospheres? Only to discover that as soon as we expose our super accurate workings to normality that the wood moves about all over the place anyway and we'll still need to use unglued panels, buttons, etc. :lol: :lol:

Or, perhaps, in the depths of winter I need to chuck a few extra logs on the stove and have a warming tray for my planes, and then work extra fast to keep them warm...... and does my wood need to be at 20c as well? And what about my plane irons and chisels, might they distort after I have spent hours lovingly flattening and sharpening them? Oh, such problems - I think I'll give it all up and buy meself a decent scrollsaw. :lol: But no, the table is bound to bend. :roll: And then there are all my C/I machines.......... where will it all end?? :cry: ](*,)

Cheers,

(tongue, partly, in cheek) Trev.

trevtheturner":1q5pnbph said:
...will we all end up working wood only in strictly temperature-controlled atmospheres? Only to discover that as soon as we expose our super accurate workings to normality that the wood moves about all over the place anyway and we'll still need to use unglued panels, buttons, etc. :lol: :lol:
The Patternmaker's Toolchest Tale.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for your help Chas.
Much appreciated.

Alf, I have been planing from the middle out, like you suggested. It works a treat. (I think that I will still take out the 2thou allthesame, just for my own piece of mind).
Thank you kindly.

Trev, I suppose some people think about things more than others, especially novices, who want to do things properly. Like myself.

No problems, Gary.

But I'm not an expert either and so I need to think about things too. Having flattened the soles of my planes, I now think more about technique and practice, rather than whether the plane sole will vary one or two thou. according to prevailing conditions. Seems unnecessary to me to be too concerned about the latter as that wood is still going to move about at some stage. Depending on the M/C of the wood, humidity, etc., this can even occur between planing and glue-up! And it frequently happens on the lathe whilst actually turning a piece!

Of course I was not suggesting that you should not aim to have your tools in the best condition possible, just that the perfection in theory is unlikely ever to be achieved with the end result in wood. You will be disappointed if you expect that, but you will certainly be well pleased when you achieve the best that you can. Just trying to keep things in perspective. Good luck. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev, I suppose some people think about things more than others, especially novices, who want to do things properly. Like myself.

Gary... just about everybody starts out like that... when stuff doesn't just click into place yer left wonderin "is it me or the tool"... real hard to progress from there till ya take out some of the variables... I cheated; sunk a ton of cash into tools I knew would cut the mustard. Every prob from there on in was down to technique... Learning curves can be flattened in a hurry with the right gear....

:D I think the nail has been hit squarely on the head.

My thinking is; :-k once my tools are all honed, straight, flat, inline and everything else, (hammer) then I can start working on myself. [-o<

Not knowing the tolerance's in woodworking, and with some engineering experience, I try to get things as near perfect as possible, :evil: (hammer) so they can be taken out of the equation. Where as at the moment I'm wondering if it's me or the tool. ](*,)

ATB Gary.

Where can I get Shapton stones from. In UK. Just an enquiry.

Latest posts

Back