Planing techniques!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested to hear people describe how they plane lengths of wood flat and square etc.

I've been trying to plain guitar neck blanks flat and square starting with a side edge, getting it flat across it's width and also straight along it's length.. Then after that atteempting to get the a wider face straight, flat and also square to the first edge.

I seem to be fine geting the first side flat and straight, but when it comes to flattening out a longer and wider face of material I struggle achieving a flat surface across it's width and length whilst keeping it square to the edge.

Any tips/tutorials anyone can help me out with? I've been using a Stanley No 4 and a Dakota/Quangsheng No 5

Thanks!

Planing a piece of wood square is quite straight forward but it's probably easier to see it being done rather than have someone try to explain it. I would recommend that you purchase one (or some) of the excellent DVDs available from people like David Savage, David Charlesworth, Rob Cosman, Chris Schwarz and others. They really are very good and well worth the money.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

"Life no get duplicate" - Pidyin English traffic safety sign in Lagos, Nigeria. Worth thinking about sometimes.

Difficult to remember when some pillock is belting towards you on your side of the Expressway, having decided that the traffic jam in his lane is moving far too slowly. :shock:

DAMHIKT! :roll:

Latest posts

Back