Planing help received - with thanks!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
:oops: OK, hands up. I need help. Help with sharpening, setting up and using planes. I'm self taught in all my basic woodworking skills. However, one thing that I cannot seem to get to grips with is planes. I have a few that have been given to me by my Father in Law but I don't know how to use them or set them up.

Is there anyone in the Edinburgh/Glasgow/West Lothian area willing to give up a few hours to teach me how to plane? Pretty please? :oops:

Commenting from a position of relative stupidity, having a one to one with someone who knows is a good idea. Even better if the other party can bring a plane to show what can be achieved.

Then when you're left to your own devices practise, practise, practise. Turning wood into shavings, looking for that straight edge and ninety degree corner is a very satisfying experience.

Thanks jimmy_s for a really interesting and informative couple of hours. Jimmy showed me how to sharpen (by using my blades), set and effectively use the planes I had and we had great fun putting together an old, but unused Stanley No50 Plane identical to this:

$_12 (1).JPG

It was still boxed and all the small bits were in a wee envelope. The large bits were wrapped in Stanley marked wax paper. After a bit of online research it seems to be from the late '40s - early '60s. I think I shall have a bit of fun using it.

After Jimmy left I spent a couple of hours producing a large pile of shavings on my floor. Thoroughly enjoyed my little self!

Attachments

• $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 872
A far more interesting "West Lothian" question than the usual, IMHO.

:D

And "well done" to Jimmy_S

BugBear

Hi Penny

it was good to meet you, I'm glad we got your planes working - some nice planes btw.

I will have a dig around in my garage for that wood vice I mentioned.

Jimmy

Back