planes- stick or twist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roman

Established Member
Reaction score
I own the following planes:

a faithful no 4 smoother thats surprisingly good in feel and to adjust but of course comes with a poor, thin blade.

a faithful block plane thats got worse with age- it now regularly comes apart in my hand, no matter how I adjust the screw, the casting on the cam action is the problem. his needs to be replaced asap.

LN bevel up jack- a bit of a step up in quality, I love it but it is under used owing to my relutance to sling it in a tool bag or to damage the blade on protruding nails.

I dont have a workshop (what am I doing on this site?!) and work on a workmate or kitchen table at home, most of what I do is away on site.

So to my questions-

Clearly I need to replace the block- should I wait until quangsheng release a low angle or just buy the current standard angle?

Should I buy the smoother or just a new blade for my existing no4?

Bearing that in mind ought I to sell the LN and buy a No 5 (quangsheng) 0r keep it and get a No 6 instead? In my limited use I quite like its extra heft but wonder how much I'd want to carry it around.

Thanks for your thoughts

Keep the LN on the mantle piece at home and polish it at weekends :lol:

Sounds like you need a cheap block plane and a 4 1/2 , slightly wider then a No4 but not as big / heavy as a No5 :wink:

Fill your boots with the Rutland's ones mate. They will never be this cheap again I think and they are very good.

But yes wait on the block if you want a LA.

Thanks for ideas, 4 1/2 sounds good. I like bigger weightier planes whwere the timber allows it. It seems to ground the plane more.

The low angle block sounds interesting, is it a change at manufacturing stage or after market modification made here?

All done from scratch at the factory.

I've talked to various users, teachers, makers and even other manufacturers and and then put all the tweeks into the new version 2 or 'V2'. The old irons won't fit the new ones and vice versa but I do have a stash of the 25 degree blades for V1 planes if anyone needs one for honing at steeper angles.

selly":2b7suve4 said:
Fill your boots with the Rutland's ones mate. .

Personally I'd rather pay the extra 30 notes (or whatever) for mathews customer service than buy anything from that wunch of bankers

mind you that said I'm leaning towards a philly plane for my next buy, ... tho the QS LA block sounds interesting

I would second the recommendation to hide away the LN. It won't take long before someone knocks it off a table on site. I reckon that you can't beat picking up a good clean Record No.5 from Ebay for about £30. When you get it, check it's flat/fettle the sole if needed and then buy a Clifton or Ron Hock A2 blade for it. From owning both, i would say that the hand forged Victor by Clifton gives a much 'creamier' cut and without a question lasts about double the Hock between grinds on the stone. You will need to probably open the mouth on the No.5 to work with the thicker blade and might have to experiment with the capscrew adjustment in order to get it to all to work together properly. A longer cap screw is available from Clico to solve this issue. If you put a convex grind on the blade, you'll be able to bang through the monkey work at very fast speed on a coarse set, without blunting up your best smoother.
Talking of which, i would definitely say as a finishing plane, the 4 1/2 offers the best range of characteristics for the jobbing chippy. It's heavy, handles well and cuts a good wide shaving. I think the fact that the Stanley Bailey pattern has a low centre of gravity, makes it vastly better at shaving control and accurate edge jointing, compared to the higher traditional wood planes. I find that the 4 1/2 allows you very good vision of the shaving as it develops, thus allowing you to alter your angle and pressure bias as you plane.
It's worth adding that many woodworkers who have taken the time to learn about the mysteries of wedged planes, know that they can still be every bit as competent/tough as a modern plane. They also make cheap little work horses for rough bench work which won't get nicked if you leave them laying around at work. Buying from the main tool sellers will ensure that they describe the key aspects of the plane's condition. Best to find one at a flea market, in tip top condition, by getting it in your hands and making sure that the mouth is good and that everything is straight. Considering a £5 note will often get you a Sheffield cast steel blade and years of faithful use, i would always suggest having one in the box for situations where nails or hard knots might knock the teeth out of your best blade.
Re the block plane, i'd say a new 60 1/2 with a thicker Isles iron from Ebay is probably the best value option for the price conscious buyer, who also wants his kit to perform in a demanding professional setting.

Best of luck with the search and hope that helps. cheers, Nick.

Roman wrote:

Should I buy the smoother or just a new blade for my existing no4?

In itself, blade thickness has little effect on performance, though of course some thicker blades might be made of steel of better qualities than some thinner ones.

In any event, adding a thicker blade without changing the cap iron can make the plane difficult to adjust.

Jeff
www.amgron.clara.net

big soft moose":3tpbhg5n said:
selly":3tpbhg5n said:

Personally I'd rather pay the extra 30 notes (or whatever) for mathews customer service than buy anything from that wunch of bankers

mind you that said I'm leaning towards a philly plane for my next buy, ... tho the QS LA block sounds interesting

Mate, you buy a plane online, man at other end puts it in an envelope and sends it to you. You then open your plastic wrapped plane and tune it.

Rutlands are fine, I don't like all this rutlands bashing/ workshop heaven worshipping all the time. I'm sure Matthew is a damn nice chap and no doubt I will buy off him in the future. I'm going to start a one man Rutlands are great campaign - good prices, good planes, good delivery. Whats the problem? :?

I like the sound of your suggestions Nick, and would buy what you describe like a shot but the thought of buying a lemon on ebay and then spending a lifetime sorting out appeals less. I've used records before and like them very much, I can see that a customised one with a good blade must be very good indeed.

cheers roman

selly":388ktnu6 said:
big soft moose":388ktnu6 said:
selly":388ktnu6 said:

Mate, you buy a plane online, man at other end puts it in an envelope and sends it to you. You then open your plastic wrapped plane and tune it.

Rutlands are fine, I don't like all this rutlands bashing/ workshop heaven worshipping all the time. I'm sure Matthew is a damn nice chap and no doubt I will buy off him in the future. I'm going to start a one man Rutlands are great campaign - good prices, good planes, good delivery. Whats the problem? :?

my problem is that i bought a router plate from rutlands and it arrived bent like a banana - I rang up to complain and the customer service girl told me "it wasnt like that when we sent it" and hung up - I got a replacement eventualluy but it took a lot of wrangling

After a long lay off I gave them another go and ordered their version of a mujifang plane that was "on sale" - it took about a month to arrive and they charged me full price - when i complained that it was in the sale, they said that the sale items were out of stock (even tho the one they'd despatched was identical) - after a lot of faffing it turned out that they actually only had one plane on sale, an ex demonstrator - a point that was not mentioned on their website. I eventually got my money back, though that wasnt easy and they were rude and unhelpful throughout the transaction

and after that I decided that it would be a cold day in hell before i gave them a penny of my hard earned.

On the otherhand I bought a QS 6 from mathew and I arranged to collect it personally and he had taken the time to prefettle it so it worked out the box, and he took the time to taklk me through sharpening etc (even tho i was collecting in the evening and out of usual business hours.)

Anothertime I ordered a mujifang from mathew and there was a problem with the order (in that it disapeared and wasnt processed), again mathew stepped in personally and made sure that it was despastched in 24 hours at no extra cost - even tho the disapearing order probably was down to my ISP rather than any fault of his

and a third time my mother in law decided to buy me a mujinfang micro for xmas and because she knows nothing about planes but bhad seen me looking at WH she rang up mathew and ordered "one of those little planes with the wooden round bit" - and he was helpful, polite, not condecending and got the order out in time for xmas

In my opinion customer service like that is worth the slightly higher price he charges over rutlands , but I'm not looking for an argument as i said originally its a matter of personal choice.

edit: Also I'd say that it doesnt just apply to mathew, others who give excellent customer service like CHT, Peter Hemsley at toolpost, stiles and bates, vasterns, and deep in wood, are more likely to get my buisness than those who clearly dont give a ***

Mathew, the pimped block sounds exactly like what I need and will preorder one from you when Im back in blighty.

Do you know if Quangsheng are going to roll out the full range? 4 1/2 skew rebates etc? Also will they innovate at all? Sounds like they are responsive to suggested improvements.

Roman

Rutlands are fine, I don't like all this rutlands bashing/ workshop heaven worshipping all the time. I'm sure Matthew is a damn nice chap and no doubt I will buy off him in the future. I'm going to start a one man Rutlands are great campaign - good prices, good planes, good delivery. Whats the problem?

Rutlands "bashing" is borne of experience...I stupidly bought some Dakota stuff a while back...last time I ever do that.

On the other hand..every single dealing I have ever had with Workshop Heaven has been perfect...no...better than perfect...astounding.

I have also bought from Axminster and will again...they are brilliant too.

Views are based on experience...and everyone is entitled to their views...

Don't say we didn't warn you though...good luck with your deals with them.

Jim

I second all that I've read about Workshop Heaven and Matthew's service...truly excellent.

I did however, mention to him in a PM some time ago that I could do with some longer reach Bessey 'F' cramps which he had on a very good offer deal some time ago, since elapsed.

No reply...then (and I'm sure he won't mind this) I received the following PM

"Hi Rob,

I had a uncontrollable urge to change the special offers last night - can't understand why but I couldn't sleep until I'd done it."

I was just about to spend the money on something else lime green :wink: :lol:

Matthew sure does know how to twist a bloke's arm...the UPS man calleth on the 'morrow. Still managed to buy the other 'item' though 8) 8) - Rob

Come on Rob, this is getting ridiculous.

With Waka's recent inactivity in these parts you may be awarded the tag of "Chief Gloatmaster" :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Karl":10woyjvr said:
Come on Rob, this is getting ridiculous.

With Waka's recent inactivity in these parts you may be awarded the tag of "Chief Gloatmaster" :lol:

Cheers

Karl

That particular purchase will see a lot more usage than the other lime green thingie I've been hankering after :wink: :lol:

To even remotely suggest that I could step into Waka's boots as the 'Gloatmeister el Supremo' is bordering on heresy. I might be stepping an eansyweenie bit closer to it though, 'specially as I bought these Monitor Audio RX1's at the same time :whistle: - Rob

woodbloke":10pqcdrr said:
To even remotely suggest that I could step into Waka's boots as the 'Gloatmeister el Supremo' is bordering on heresy.

off topic but does anyone know what has happened to the wakameister anyway - afaik he's not to be found on TWH or WWUK either ?

big soft moose":1o9g0iig said:
woodbloke":1o9g0iig said:
To even remotely suggest that I could step into Waka's boots as the 'Gloatmeister el Supremo' is bordering on heresy.

off topic but does anyone know what has happened to the wakameister anyway - afaik he's not to be found on TWH or WWUK either ?

Waka's got family over from Singapore this month I believe and then he's off out to t'orient later on in the month - Rob

Latest posts

Back