Planer thicknesses for garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve rebuilt a number of machines, vintage and modern. In my experience, I won’t rebuild modern machines unless they are the high end commercial machines. Why? Well I have found the trade / DIY machines to be very poorly engineered and don’t hold their setup making for disappointment and costly return visits to machines I’ve worked on.
So, Sedgwick, very happy to work on these machines, solid proper engineering that will life generations. Not the best, but extremely good and far better than any IMO of your other suggested machines.

The chain, bearings and sprockets will need changing at some point. Looking at the sprockets I’d want to change them, BUT for DIY the chances are they will out last your lifetime as they are.

We would strip and repaint the machine in the modern blue and white colours and replace anything worn to bring it back to usually better setup than when it came out of the factory. Now, this takes a fair bit of time, some tools, but nothing too elaborate and is within the capability of anyone who has say changed the breaks on a car. You usually don’t lose money buying Sedgwick, you definitely will lose money buying a new trade / DIY machine and IMO struggle to get them working properly. P/Ts must be very stiff / rigid to work properly. So a light machine that’s made to a cost won’t again IMO give the performance you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back