Planer Thicknesser... yet again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projekct

Established Member
Reaction score
Just joined the forum and began woodworking after a 20year break (left my trade at 21). Anyway I find that things have moved on a tad and am wanting to get busy again.

I am looking for a reasonable Planer thicknesser (dosnt have to be too industrial) and had been considering the Woodstar and SIP size units. I am not planning to go to anything too large as my garage is small.

I have a SIP 10" table saw (pressie from the wife, hence why its a SIP) and the usual bits n bobs.

Can you advise me as to what is available and what is the better options.

Archie

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Are you talking about one of the smaller (6"x4"?) bench-top models here? From what I've heard, people are fairly happy with them. My understanding is that the fence isn't terrific but there are possibly ways to overcome that.

If you're thinking of going for one of the £400 floor-standing 10"x6" models however, I'd advise strongly against it and suggest you find an extra £100+ and go for a bigger cast-iron 10"x7" machine by Axminster, Fox or Charnwood.

Welcome Projekct

You don't mention budget?

I can thoroughly recommend the Jet JP-260 or JP-310 both are fantastic machines at the top of the hobby market. Space shouldn't be an issue as they are the most logical and compact machines to switch between modes.

Budget... well I would rather pay for a tool that will last, like most of my handtools that are all in the 30 - 40 years and if i got a fraction of that from a planer I would be happy.

maybe £500 ish tops

If you can afford up to £500 then I'd go for one of the mid-range axminster machines or similar (Fox, Xcaliber etc...) They may be a low end machine but are definitely out of the 'hobby tool' range and will be a much better investment. Some of the cheaper machines are bench-top tools mounted onto a folded steel cabinet, they have smaller cutter blocks, guzzle more current and run faster and noisier. For a small extra cost you get something that's much more heavy duty

Aidan

i would get this one,its almost identical to the axmister that i have but cheaper.Same as mentioned above as Excaliber. Go to the semi-professional range,then click on planer/thicknessers.
http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/

If you are considering the Lyndhurst one you might want to look at a thread by ByronBlack here about some issues he had with this company Here.

Cheers :D
Tony

Back