Planer thicknesser problem Help!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys hope you can help me, I recently bought the Axi MB9020 planer thicknesser. When i try to create a straight edge there is more comes off the middle of the wood causing a bow . My method is first flattening one side then running the wood through the thicknesser followed by the edge. I am sure it is my technique rather than the machine but would appreciate some advice before i make a . of myself with axi.
Many thanks

Alec

I always sraighten a face & edge first, then cut to within 2mm of the finished size & then finnish in the thicknesser. I am sure others do it differently but this is the way i have been trained & it has always served me well.

With regards to the "bow". Have you tried an engineers straight edge over the top of the tables to make sure they are lined up perfectly ? Once that is set then make sure the blades are set a fraction higher than the outfeed table. If you put a steel rule on edge over the blade & rotate the block, the rule should move forward 2 - 3mm. If this is all set properly & you still have problems then it might be time to go back to the shop !

Hope this makes sence, Woodguy.

Tell me if you already know this, but are you putting the timber over the planer the right way up? As in, having the crown in the timber upwards and having the hollow face down over the bed. If not the planer will just keep planing the timber to the shape it already is. Thus, taking more out of the middle.

How long is the piece your trying to do? I have this machine and due to the table lengths you can't easily straight long lengths.

Thanks for your replies guys, No i didnt know about the crown :oops: is this the same for edging the board I tried edging MDF and got the same result, as you have probably guessed I am new at this woodworking and the frustration. thanks again

alec - I really feel for you

I have no specific fixes for the problem but I had a similarly frustrating start to my relationship with my PT85 planer thicknesser

all I can say is take a deep breath stay calm and look up and read everything there is about these things and keep trying stuff till it works

my breakthrough was learning to set the knives right - following an article in one of the woodmags by Alan Holtham - there's some threads on here about it too. an awful lot of the problems these things get are fixed by setting the knives right apparently

good luck - Pete

alec":37bv1ets said:
Thanks for your replies guys, No i didnt know about the crown :oops: is this the same for edging the board I tried edging MDF and got the same result, as you have probably guessed I am new at this woodworking and the frustration. thanks again

Alec

In your original post you use the term 'Bow', then others use the term 'Crown'.

As far as I know a bow is along the board and a crown is across a board, would be useful just to confirm which it is you are suffering with as I am getting a little confused?

Mick

MickCheese":d0upvo5u said:
As far as I know a bow is along the board and a crown is across a board, would be useful just to confirm which it is you are suffering with as I am getting a little confused?

Mick

I always thought a crown was along the length - probably too many 'murican TV Shows. :oops:

Dibs

mick, thanks for you reply, I was trying to describe what was happening when i was planning the edge of the board. when I put a straight edge along the boards length there is more taken from the middle instead of being straight and flat. Ideas welcome. Thanks

Hi, I had a similar problem with a small planer I have until I lengthened the in and out feed tables with these adjustable rollers.

planer%20bolted.jpg

Thats less than a meter, you should be alright. If your getting a dip in the middle try taking partial passes at either end, never crossing the middle, then do a full length pass. Where abouts in Nottingham are you?

Dibs-h":3muvgy7p said:
MickCheese":3muvgy7p said:

Mick

I always thought a crown was along the length - probably too many 'murican TV Shows. :oops:

Dibs

Don't want to high-jack your thread but is a crown along or across a board as I am confused?

Mick

MickCheese":uywtdgcf said:
Dibs-h":uywtdgcf said:
MickCheese":uywtdgcf said:

Mick

Dibs

Don't want to high-jack your thread but is a crown along or across a board as I am confused?

Mick
I'm sure you're right as above Mick. Crown, if it is used as an "English" woodworking term means the same as when we say "the crown of the road" ie the high point in the middle running along the length, with slopes (cambers) off to the edges. The usual terms for defects in wood are cupping for crown and bowing when the piece of wood looks like a bow!!

Back