Planer thicknesser making wedges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittler1507

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why my new planer thicknesser is taking off more on one side than the other? I'm ending up with considerable difference in thickness after jointing one side.

You don't say what size or type PT you have,or how long you have owned it, etc.
More than likely some members will have similar type or model.
Also pics would be good idea.
Regards Rodders

What sort of PT, Well guessed!
I have a hm 260, and I know nothing specifically about you're model.
The lickliest answer is that the chain driving the bed by 2, or 4 threaded sprockets is very slack, and out of timing, or sync.
You don't say how much the bed is out one side to the other.
The chain is probably underneath the planer base, and therefore you will need to get at this taking it off the stand etc
Be careful of the beds as they are not to be knocked about.
carefully clead the crud and dust out and you will need to adjust the chain carefully and hopefully the problem will be rectified.
Do NOT take the chain off as they are difficult to set up correctly.
I hope the chain has not broken, or come off previously.
Lighly oil the chain, when finished,
HTH Regards Rodders

If you mean planing (Jointing is 'murrican equivalent I think) rather than thicknessing, then I'd first check the tables' alignment with the blades and cutter block.

If by "more on one side than the other" you mean left and right, rather than my experience, then stop reading now. Otherwise, I have the Scheppach HMS260 and found I was planing wedges i.e. the near side was thinner than the side against the fence. Found that the outfeed table - which is removable and sits on a bracket, bolted to the frame/case - had sunk a little on the near side; probably when the plumber used it to stand on to service the boiler :shock: This bought the table nearer the blade on one side, hence the wedges.

So, check if both tables are co-planar with each other and the cutter block (assuming blades are inserted correctly i.e. also co-planar with the block) and adjust if not. If that's not it then I'm stumped.

Check that both cutter block blades are correctly set and level. Check the thicknesser table level - they can come out of adjustment.

start messing with the chain (and you might well have to) check something else first.

Take a piece of wood that is reasonably square and surface plane it a few times. Say, 10 passes over the machine. Then have a look at it. Are both edges till the same thickness as each other, or is one edge of the board thinner than the other?

If they are still equal, then you have to adjust the chain as mentioned above. It's a pain of a job.

If, however, the edges are noticeably different, ten the problem is that the knives are not set properly, one end sticks up more than the other and fixing that is considerably easier.
S

Dunno but I once had a planer with a similar prob and it was due to dust piling up and getting compacted under bearing housings and other places. The solution was a lot of poking about and a blow job with a vacuum cleaner in reverse. A mirror on a stick and a torch might help.

Back