Planer thicknesser advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all :)

Looking to buy a planer thicknesser so i can tidy up old bits of wood i acquire.
I really don't have much space left in my garage and i wallet is especially empty after christmas etc.
I thought, ok i can get just one of the cheap £200-£300 ones and it will do me for now, But i the metabo at £500 has taken my eye, That is the very max i can afford and i can't even really afford it!
Does anyone have any views on this planer? will it do the job for now? I plan to get a decent one in about 1 years time but i just cant stretch for it at the moment.
The metabo i'm looking at is http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Meta ... tAod9W0AIQ
It's the same as records pt260 for £100 more?
The reason i think the metabo would be better than the £200-£300 charnwoods etc is i think it's and induction motor, where as the charnwood etc are brush motors, surely wouldn't last too long? Or am i wrong? lol Also it has a wider plane/thickness 260mm instead of 200mm

Thanks James

If you don't mind a second hand one and waiting for one to become available, I would go for an inca 550, 560 or ideLly 570. The 560 and 570 should have tersa blades. They do come up for sale from £250 upwards. If I had a budget of 600-700 I would still go for the same.

I have the 560.

Hi marcros
Not sure what ones you mean?
Problem is with getting second hand i live at the very top of the country so travel/transport is a huge issue :(

Best advice I could give is wait.
If you can't afford it, there is little point going into debt for a hobby.

I have the SIP version of the Metabo you're asking about. I've had it for several years and it's never given me a problem. Cuts well and accurately. This design has been around a long while, is well proven and re-badged by many "makers".

I did once travel to see an old Sedgwick but it was a very optimistically described heap of junk and after that I gave up waiting for the right secondhand machine to appear anywhere near me and at the right price.

Marcus has mentioned his Inca P/T before and he is spot on in what he has said. I have used a Sedwick for 30 plus years but a few weeks ago I bought an Inca P/T from the widow of a retired pattern maker he bought when he just retired, it had hardly been used when he sadly died. She was selling up her house to move into sheltered housing. It has the tersa two blade block, it had not been used for many many years and it needed cleaning and lubrication but it now runs like a Swiss watch and makes many other machines look very agricultural. I have only run a few test lengths of oak and yew through it and was amazed at how quiet it was, unlike a Sedwick this a machine you could run in a home workshop and not have the neighbors complaining. Look on the internet what other owners of Inca machines have said and if you can wait till one comes along you will not be disappointed if you buy it.

Back