Planer Thicknesser Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyphil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I would like to purchase a compact planer thicknesser. I have limited space in my garage and am also confined to a model that can be transported in the back of a hatchback car as I am happy to buy and pick up a second hand machine to keep costs down, so long as I can find a well maintained one.
Does anyone use or have any info on the Record Power PT260, which appears to be selling on ebay for £300 - £400 (compared to the list price of £700).
Would anyone recommend any other makes that could meet my fairly simplistic general diy needs - 90% of my work would be milling softwood for indoor / garden projects and possibly oak for building garden furniture.
I would also consider 2 separate bench top machines that plane and thickness individually if anyone suggests that this is the better route to go.
Apologies for the generally vague request for information.
Phil

I had a Record PT260 for a while; its pretty lightweight and definitely a hobby model but performed really well. The tables are short, the finish from the tables does come off, its kind of noisy and it won't last forever but you get what you pay for. I was very happy with it and with some effort managed to machine up timber that was way too big for it. Record spare parts dept are very good.

Own the PT260 for hobby use and so far have been more than happy with it for the price paid.
Upsides - it's compact and transportable in a car, easily moved with its castor frame, easy to use, better quality than other makes of the same size and type.
Downsides - changing over between modes takes a minute or two, fence supplied is tricky to get perfect.

Back