Planer Knife setting Jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new planer an Italian Griggio with a 430mm width of cut and 2100mm long tables. The problem with it is there are no jacking screws for setting the blades so to stop setting the blades becoming a nightmare i decided some setting jigs may be a good idea. Matty very generously sent me some he didnt need as he has a tersa block :D

This is the machine its been taken off the scaffold tubes now but weighing in at 750kgs they were ideal for moving it around.

planer01.jpg

planer02.jpg

There is no name on the box the jigs came in but i think they are the same as the ones sold by rutlands and axminster.

jig-01-1.jpg

I set one of the knives level with the outfeed table using a straightedge and a 3mm carry forward.

jig-02-1.jpg

With the first knife set it was then easier to put the machine into thickneser mode to set the other blades. The Jigs were set to the set knife and then marked Left and Right. It was then a case of just setting the other knives level with the Jigs.The jigs incorporate rare earth magnets so they stick to the block and the blade.

jig-03.jpg

I checked the blades and they were perfectly set and on the whole i was impressed with the jigs and setting the knives was a relatively quick process compared to setting them by hand.

I gave the planer a quick test and the results from the 4 knife block weere superb when i tried it on some birds eye maple and some interlocked mahoghany

cheers

Jon

I bought a set from Rutlands a couple of years ago. They got the usual Rutlands bashing from some - but they work very well on my Metabo.

Rod

Don't buy them from Rutlands - the ones Axminster sell are much cheaper! :wink:

I've had a pair for a couple of years but have never personally gotten on with them. Still, there are others who seem quite happy with them... :duno: :)

Nice planer, by the way. I used to work with an old Griggio machine just like that one, except maybe a little older... It definitely had some 'cosmetic' differences. Always gave great performance and would easily handle 15mm deep rebates! 8)

Someone once messed about with the pressure bar on the outfeed side of the cutter block - next thing you know, we were feeding a load of 4x4s through when it made this horrendous noise, sparks flying, when it came in to contact with the blades, destroying a freshly sharpened set! :shock: The same silly person "reset it" after that but, it was still making this horrible "grinding" noise when you fed wood through the thicknesser - sounded, to me, like the bar was now contacting the outfeed roller but, no-one seemed to care... :roll:

Have a look on the WoodWhisperer web site. He has a good video on setting up a planer using a straight edge and dial gauge. He didn't find other methods as accurate.

OPJ":2twvkh3d said:
Nice planer, by the way. I used to work with an old Griggio machine just like that one, except maybe a little older... It definitely had some 'cosmetic' differences. Always gave great performance and would easily handle 15mm deep rebates! 8)

I've seen this mentioned before in other threads, how does one do rebates that deep on a planer?

Christof.

Back