Plane - Sole Contact Points

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This keeps focusing on how David W is not nice or how long his posts are as excuses to dismiss him. He's left this forum, so no risk of suffering him again, except in the archives.

This keeps focusing on how David W is not nice or how long his posts are as excuses to dismiss him. He's left this forum, so no risk of suffering him again, except in the archives.
I agree. But it's not dismissing him for anybody to dismiss his ideas, which I also thought were, er, exaggerated. :unsure:
Need to get away from ad hominem arguments!

Last edited:
he's a bully, nobody is saying he has to be nice all the time, I'm not nice all the time either, but he can't get away with continual bullying, belittling other people and being condescending and then expect somebody to go and read his articles or take him seriously as an authority on woodworking, that's a seriously flawed strategy.

I find this post which is typical of several other topics degenerates into a bun fight
I think everybody agrees that plane set up and sharpening is important and within those broad topics that
Plane sole flatness has an impact
Chipbreaker setting has an effect
Blade sharpness is important
To get a good sharp edge the 2 faces of the blade have to meet. This means that the back as well as the bevel have to be" treated"

How far you want to take any of these and other aspects of tool tuning will depend upon your expectations and the type of work you are doing
All the discussion on this forum does is present a pretty poor image to any casual observer

Given the amount of time spent discussing how to achieve perfection and dissing everybody elses approach just think how much more constructive projects, work in progress, dealing with wood movement etc which could be written which would make this a far more attractive forum

Looking back, there was infact a nick or two in that iron OMG!:eek:
That was the second thing I spotted, after the tearout. I guess my eyes still work.

And maybe I'm tempted to egg on further the main protagonists in this thread by mentioning how I hone a plane iron or bench chisel. I almost always, start honing by working the flat face of the tool a bit before turning my attention to the bevelled face. I like to make sure I keep the flat faced side flat for the last 10 - 15 mm of its length. It seems to me to make knocking off the wire edge raised by first honing that bit more reliable than starting the honing process on the bevelled side of the tool. There's more if I'm looking for super sharpness, but I'll leave it at that.

I also demonstrate that technique, and discuss why I do it, to any learners that can't sharpen, need to, and willing to learn, or really ought to learn but can't be bothered - their problem, not mine.

Can I from this moment onwards please be a guru now that I've revealed the ultimate(?) sharpening secret, ha ha? Slainte.

That was the second thing I spotted, after the tearout. I guess my eyes still work.

And maybe I'm tempted to egg on further the main protagonists in this thread by mentioning how I hone a plane iron or bench chisel. I almost always, start honing by working the flat face of the tool a bit before turning my attention to the bevelled face. I like to make sure I keep the flat faced side flat for the last 10 - 15 mm of its length. It seems to me to make knocking off the wire edge raised by first honing that bit more reliable than starting the honing process on the bevelled side of the tool. There's more if I'm looking for super sharpness, but I'll leave it at that.

I also demonstrate that technique, and discuss why I do it, to any learners that can't sharpen, need to, and willing to learn, or really ought to learn but can't be bothered - their problem, not mine.

Can I from this moment onwards please be a guru now that I've revealed the ultimate(?) sharpening secret, ha ha? Slainte.
Some of us considered you a guru already but now you are aggressively championing this totally unnecessary and controversial sharpening technique I for one will have to reconsider my opinion.

View attachment 159937

Got some flat shavings,

thanks for all the tips, heres what I did to the plane, works pretty well know I think.

positioned the frog face to be coplanar with mouth
relieved & polished the chip breaker
sharpened the blade and polished with autosol on some mdf (not very well)
positioned chip breaker <0.5mm from blade.
It's all down to the weather.
"Shavings straight, snow will stay late,
shavings curly, springs coming early"
As my great grandfather used to mutter.

Some of us considered you a guru already but now you are aggressively championing this totally unnecessary and controversial sharpening technique I for one will have to reconsider my opinion.
Don't you mean gnu rather than guru? The technique isn't at all controversial, it's the one and only true way, surely? I should really knock up a bunch of YouTube video flim-flam and gather a bunch slavering adherents, idolaters and fans. Slainte.

You will all be surprised to know that the OP @1Will seems to have found his answer 89 post's ago:
Got some flat shavings,

thanks for all the tips, heres what I did to the plane, works pretty well know I think.

positioned the frog face to be coplanar with mouth
relieved & polished the chip breaker
sharpened the blade and polished with autosol on some mdf (not very well)
positioned chip breaker <0.5mm from blade.
I haven't learnt anything since then, other than Richards, @Sgian Dubh revelatory methods.

David Weaver, @D_W is a member here who published some good research on cap iron/ chip breaker use.
WoodCentral Forum Archive

Unfortunately as you can probably deduce from this thread he is somewhat abrasive and dogmatic in the defence of “his” technique to the exclusion of all others. He also has a tendency to use ten words where one would have been sufficient.

The combination of @D_W and @Jacob is a master class in people incapable of seeing the other side of an argument
I have never found him abrasive. It may largely go over my head but I still find it interesting, I find some others on here far more difficult to listen to.

On the contrary, I can see both sides. I just don't accept "there is only one way to do it, my way, don't bother considering anything new or foreign."
Childish snide remarks don't add anything to these threads. Sometimes seems to be the only thing some people have to offer. If you have nothing to say it's better to say nothing.

Surely it’s time the mods put this thread out of it’s misery.

Mod Edit: Done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely it’s time the mods put this thread out of it’s misery.
Yes a lot of bickering going on!
I thought it was interesting to discover where the idea of "straight shavings" came from i.e. Japanese planing competitions. So that bit was useful.
And it seems that DW's 50º was misunderstood and he was proposing anything from 80º down to 50º - which is just what everybody does anyway. Maybe I've misunderstood that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back