Plane restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan-K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After the recent bash that featured some very nice planes indeed, I was inspired to drag a few planes out of the back of my dads shed:

DSC00948.jpg

As you can see, they haven't been polished for a little while! :D

The largest is a Bedrock 607, the middle a Bedrock 605 1/2, the smaller is a "No. 10" but appears unbranded. There is also the very small plane, which also seems unbranded, and an antique screwdriver I picked up just for fun :)

The blades look like they have been rather abused and they obviously need some cleaning....but do you think they have some potential? I really dont know anything about planes so this is going to be a very steep learning curve... :)

search the forum for threads on electrolytic derusting - basically you get an old model railway transformer or similar from freecycle/ebay then use it to run a little electrlytic tank - take the wooden bits off and take them to bits then hang the bodies in the tank et voila no more rust

you'll probably find that the blades (irons) are shot though and the soles may be pitted - you cant tell til youve cleaned them up

Very nice , apart from irons and chip irons which may be too pitted... the rest should be doable 8)

An old chisel as a scraper on the soles and sides should lift most of it :wink:

The No10 badger looks an early Stanley

One thing the castings should be well settled by now :roll:

Andy

Hi Dan

Nice find.

I've refurbed a couple of old Bedrocks - see hereand here.

Lord Nibbo also did a refurb on a No10, IIRC.

Good luck

Cheers

Karl

hi dan

No No nah, no chance of restoring them, best you let me take them off your hand . :lol: :lol: you lucky lucky man I'm sure they will come up fine looking forwards to seeing the progress keep plenty of pics coming . what else is lurking around at the back of your dads shed . hc :wink:

Hi,

Youv'e got some cracking planes there, a good cleanup and they will very nice usable planes.

Pete

Sounds like they have some potential :D

Didn't realise that the Bedrocks were made by Stanley when I picked them up! :oops:

Karl, you did a great job on your Bedrocks - did you re-do the japanning as well? they look spotless... a bit scared now as there's no way I have that kind of skill!

I was thinking of electrolytic derusting, but I shall check out citric acid now..

Thanks for all the advice.

In terms of irons etc: Can I regrind the originals, or should I replace with Hock (bit out of my price range really), or has anyone found a supply of replacement stanley blades?

There are some good planes lurking somewhere under all that brown stuff. Looks like your dad knew what he was doing.

Latest posts

Back