Plane Purchasing Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supernova9

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's yet another thread where you get to decide how you'd spend someone else's money (which, let's face it is the best kind of money to spend!)

Basically, I build guitars in my spare time - So far I've been using a router for most operations, truing/thicknessing/jointing etc, which is all well and good, but I really want to get to grips with hand tools, particularly planes. So I'm looking to buy a decent quality plane to do things like jointing (we're talking boards no more than 2.5" thick), truing up faces (typical dimensions around 2' by 8"), and other things like truing up surfaces for scarf joints on the guitar necks. Most of the wood I work with are hardwoods, and I also work with figured woods, such as curly maple/walnut sometimes.

So what would your recommendations for planes be? Obviously I'm thinking a 7 or a 6 for the jointing stuff, but other than that I'm at a blank. Anyone have any suggestions (especially if there are any other luthiers on the board!)

Welcome to the forum supernova. I make those guitar thingys as well. Strictly handtool (well almost). The longest plane I have is a No. 5, never felt the need for a longer plane. I've even joined Cello plates using a No 5, so it's obviously possible. I think it's more down to technique, experience and an edge on the blade thats sharp. If you look at the edge of the blade and it doesn't frighten you then it just ain't sharp enough.

Back