Plane making attempt #4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheffield Tony":3vms3j86 said:
Taking on board some of your comments Stewie, I have trimmed back and shaped and opened out the sliding box section, which, because of the angles, makes a lot more diference than one might imagine to the the space available for the shavings to pass out through. I also pared away some of the wedge between the tines. It does seem to help. Thanks for the comments.

(I've left the mouth opening alone for now though.)

Hi Tony. Are you able to show photo's of the chamfer plane after you made the latest changes.

Stewie;

It's made a world of difference to how they look too, the quality of workmanship was abundantly evident before, but adding that swoop to the box has transformed them.

Thanks Mathew. The 4 chamfer planes are near completion. I have 2 more brass soles to fit, then its just the irons sharpening up.

I had no real intension of making any more of these box chamfer planes in the future.

But.

Just in case I do change my mind.

I went ahead and purchased some extra stock of 1 1/4" wide plane irons.

(hammer)

Stewie;

Stewie - sorry for the delay, I've had ISP problems.

I went for someting a bit similar to yours; dropping the front of the box section works wonders; I had not realised how much it allows you to remove from inside the throat of the plane. I also thinned down the central part of the wedge. Heres the end result; it is a pity you are so far away from MAC Timbers, or you could have seen it last weekend ...
chamfer7.jpg

Attachments

• chamfer7.jpg
    chamfer7.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 121
Sheffield Tony":2ukehiw2 said:
Heres the end result; it is a pity you are so far away from MAC Timbers, or you could have seen it last weekend ...

... where it performed very capably on an offcut of oak with some nasty reversing grain. I didn't get any pictures though - did anyone else?

Having had a go myself, I watched Ollie try it out, and I have to admit it seemed to perform better in his hands than mine. There seems to be a fair knack in how you use one of these planes.

Latest posts

Back