Plane makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about a plane maker by the name of AMES, I'm assuming that is the maker's name I might add.

Roy.

Roy
I have "John Ames" and John Ames and Sons", Great Almonry, Westminster. 1800 - 53, 25 Tothill Street, Westminster 1840-44.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Thanks Phil, I've been given several boxes of old wooden planes by a local dealer. He wants them sorted out into salvageable and non salvageable items.
Unfortunately he's stored them in a damp shed and we all know how woodworm feel about Beech don't we?
There's about 60 of them so you can see I've got quite a task ahead of me so expect some more questions Phil,

Roy.

I've got a one litre tin of woodworm killer that I've plastered them in.
One was like a sponge! I blew air from my compressor down one hole on one plane and frass came out all over the place.
I'm not complaining though, I get the irons from the scrap ones!

Roy.

I acquired this plane body 'tother day, no info as the maker's name is too faint to read.

2mwwnzs.jpg

It's in such a good condition, just dirty, that I'm wondering if it has even been used.

kdqyyt.jpg

The lower hole is tapped six mil.

20i6fm0.jpg

It would seem to me that it was designed to to a Stanley type iron assembly but there is no means of adjustment. Can anyone help with some info?

Roy

Digit":2tlnpc7g said:
I acquired this plane body 'tother day, no info as the maker's name is too faint to read.

Try cleaning the area with paste wax and a tooth brush, or white spirit if you don't want wax on the plane.

To read the name, try either a window, adjusting the angle every which way, or a torch (ditto); a good magnifying lens, around 5x (e.g. "linen tester") may-or-may not help - it varies IME.

BugBear

Tried all that BB. It look like REG No ****** digits, nowt else.
It doesn't show well in the pics but the sole is actually a black timber.

Roy.

It certainly seems to be in English BB but way the sole is laminated reminds me very much of some European planes that I've seen.
The reason I asked about the missing parts is I intend keeping the plane and would like to bring back up to spec.

Roy.

Roy
Very interesting! Do you think it is original or an "owner modified" plane? There is no method of locking or adjusting the blade so assume some sort of contraption was used. Sorry I can't help more.
Cheers
Philly :D

Damned if I know Phil, there is no sign that a wedge was ever used or intended. The 6 mm thread at the bottom lines up with a conventional Stanley type iron assembly and the mouth will only accept a thin iron. There's no evidence of a Norris type adjuster, I can only think that it was intended to be tapped for adjustment.
The mouth adjustment is slick and the sole is set into the body with numerous T & Gs
If all else fails I'm gonna try it with a complete Stanley iron assembly and see how it performs and how well it will adjust.

Roy.

Something i use in my job is an hand held UV lamp,like the £10 ones you can get for checking money.It surprising what they can show up.

I know someone who uses one of those Bob so I'll check it out.

Roy.

Digit":bzc54v1d said:
Damned if I know Phil, there is no sign that a wedge was ever used or intended. The 6 mm thread at the bottom lines up with a conventional Stanley type iron assembly and the mouth will only accept a thin iron.

With a bolt in the thread, a lever cap would work. Actually, with a bolt providing "something to pull on" several solutions are possible - lever cap is just common on Baileys.

BugBear

As it dries out BB the sole is coming away from the body so I put a Bailey type iron assembly into it last night and gave it a quick try.
As is the throat chokes straight away and the mouth doesn't move forward far enough to open it. I found saw dust under the sliding throat so it was used in the past.
I'm hoping that the sole will become loose enough soon for me to dismantle it and then bring it back into use.
The fact that the sole is lifting away gives me hope that I will be able to recover it if only so that I can give it a proper trial.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back