Plane handling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Father taught me the same thing, plane on its side. He also had me make my bench with a tool well that allowed the plane to be in its side and be below the surface of the back support and the front working surface. It was so that I didn’t ding something I’d made when moving stuff around on top of the bench top with tools in the well. For me the logic still holds good.

I’ve never really understood the benefits of a tool well but that makes sense. Though I’ve only really encountered them in college and i don’t think they were much deeper than a chisel would be.

woodbloke66":2lp6dwun said:
...I have an old Star Trek mug in the tool well...
You're like guys who steal the cutlery off an aircraft. When you get off an aircraft, or a starship, leave the flaming dishes behind (hammer).

I bet Kirk is still looking for that mug.

Cheers, Vann :wink: .

MikeG.":3vxl5xyy said:
I've got half a well. It's useful. :lol:

Someone could start a thread on this - it would make a change from s_a_p_n_n_ - and we could find out if we all agree about how good a tool well is! :D

phil.p":2qf0nn5i said:
I never seen a well deep enough to cover a plane. I haven't got a well. They're a bloody nuisance. :D
Going off topic slightly, I disagree. I find it a useful receptacle for all the small odds n'sods/detritus being used for the current project, as well as my 'baccy tin of jobbers drills and the Star Trek mug full of pencils, ebony splints and spiders (at the bottom) Plus it's a useful place to locate my two powerful LED lamps that slide along the well itself...

IMG_4143.jpg

...as well as any tools that have a particular 'set' (adjustable squares) that I don't want to alter. The shot was taken about four minutes ago without any clearing up - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 39
Back