Plane handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post in the hand tools section or here.

I'm enquiring the best my plane handles smooth and looking good.

The plane is a 5 1/2 and the clear coat Stanley put on was chipping badly with very little remaining. I've sanded the handles back to barewood using 80 grit oxide sandpaper, so they are rougher than a bear's bum.

I'm not what species the timber is, I *think* they might be rosewood :?

Could someone advise on a regime to get them finished and protected from my getting grubby from oil,dirt,etc.

What sandpaper grits should I use to get the handles smooth and what should I use as a finish coat? I'm not too bothered about coulour and whether it's super shiny or not. I'd prefer something that is easy to apply like an oil or something. Main criterior is to protect the handles from getting grime inbedded into and something that feel tacky or rub off on my hands.

Thanks
Jon[/code]

Scooby - I finished some plane handles on an oldish Record No 4 by chipping off all the old icky varnish, sanding through the grits with 100, 150, 240 and finishing with 320g. The finish I applied was a coat of linseed oil and then several coats of french polish, topped off with a wax paste, buffed immediately with a soft cloth. This type of finish has the advantage that a very pleasant patina will build up over time with use - Rob

Jon, I do much the same as Rob except I avoid linseed oil 'cos it can turn the rosewood black which I personally don't much like. Instead I just wipe on some blonde shellac and then knock it back with some finish non-woven abrasive and wax and buff it up.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back