plane building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooky

Established Member
Reaction score
just brought 5 old plane irons with chip breakers ,tapered thick blades,a small side rebate plane,new 4.5" stanley iron and 2.0" stanley iron from woodvale rally in southport for £2.00.dont see this to often now !.Any way wanted to make my own wooden planes can any body show me an example of one in say oak,utile or maple in other words not cocobola.thanks

thanks philly ,i have seen your posts before and allways admired your work.nice clear diagrams and a readily available timber.noticed you did`nt use a chip breaker,any particular reason ?

A few links amongst this lot may help (there may be dead links among them - I haven't checked). And of course there's a few examples in Charles Hayward's How To Make Woodwork Tools (Pauses to bless Gary Roberts for his Toolemera site again). I've got some user-made (not by me) moulding planes in oak around here somewhere. My first plane attempt was a razee jack in oak - it wasn't good, but that wasn't the oak's fault... Last plane I made was in maple and it did the job better than I deserved, given the complete lack of a plan. Heck, standard plane-making wood is beech, and you can't get more unexceptional than that. Just look past the cocobolo and a plane is a plane is a plane. Cocobolo's nice though... :wink:

Oh yeah, and I think that's probably a gloat you have there. Nice.

Brooky
I'm not the worlds biggest chipbreaker fan - but if you got 'em, use 'em! Makes fitting the wedge a lot easier,
Philly :D

You lot are insufferable, I grabbed a copper beech bole on freecycle the other day with the best intentions of using the lot for firewood and not getting all woodworkery about it and trying to reserve any for projects. Now I'm looking at the firewood stack and thinking - hang on, there might be a moulding plane or two in that lot - and I've got some steel for the irons, and I'm going to visit a mate with a forge next month - aaaargh!

Hee. :lol: Firewood's never safe - am I the only one who occasional liberates a particularly promising piece from the log basket because it just looks too good to burn? Perhaps I am. 8-[

Alf":2a2i7eb4 said:
Hee. :lol: Firewood's never safe - am I the only one who occasional liberates a particularly promising piece from the log basket because it just looks too good to burn? Perhaps I am. 8-[

Oh no you're not!

(panto season's come early!)

BugBear

Alf":3py2icv9 said:

You're definitely not! :oops:

We nearly froze last winter!!! :D

Jim

moulding planes,yes,a whole new category i carn'nt wait to discover been saving irons for this for some time.by the way iam a building contractor for many years but winding down now or tying to and returning to my roots,woodwork.i'am new at the forum game and would like to post pictures but not sussed it out yet,infact i carnt even log out !

nice skew plane Alf,thats just the thing i was thinking of.i have an abundance of maple flooring i took out of a school ,looking at what you have done may be i will have a crack just need 10 mins to learn the art :lol:

Back