Stanley No.5 plane spare parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after a chip breaker for a Stanley No.5 plane, 2" model.

Can anyone point me to somewhere that sells them?

I can find lever caps, handles, irons etc but no chip breakers anywhere!

Thanks in advance
Neil

Thanks for the replies guys and especially that a No.4 is the same - there's far more results on the 'Bay for No.4's than 5's so I'm confident I'll find a cap-iron now.
Cheers, Neil

I have a Stanley No.4 with a Record cap iron, it's unusable. I believe the depth adjuster hole is in a slightly different place.

Stanley did have a little variation over the years and sometimes that happens. Record less so. They are interchangeable - normally. I have a Record 05 with a Stanley cap iron - adjustment works as it should.

Cheers, Vann.

I have a Stanley No.4 with a Record cap iron, it's unusable...
...They are interchangeable...

When Record began manufacturing handplanes in 1930 they copied Stanley exactly, right down to the - by then - non-standard threads (when Stanley began manufacturing planes in the States there were no 'standard' threads). Record wanted to completely take over Stanley's share of the UK (and colonies) market, including spares.

There's no difference in design of the cap-iron. If your Record cap-iron doesn't fit your Stanley plane, it'll due to slight variations in manufacturing tolerances. And I'd put my money on the Stanley being the one with the variation.

Cheers, Vann.

Back