Pippy Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to my Home grown woodyard a couple of weeks ago.
I saw some pippy oak, the top plank was 2" thick, by 20" wide, by 10 foot long, Mr woodyard has quite a lot of this.
He was telling me that the plank above was worth over £800, for a table, or similar.
I was wondering how much this would be in you're neck of the woods?
Regards Rodders

i would have thought in the region of £120-£150, unless it had exceptional grain.

it is 2.78 cubic feet, if anybody is doing a quick calculation.

£800... lol

That's a slim table you would be eating off whoever is opposites plate.

Pete

A/D this is worth £90, KD would be £120. Far to narrow for a single plank table top, ours are normally 30" +

jackss565":3b01iadf said:
A/D this is worth £90, KD would be £120. Far to narrow for a single plank table top, ours are normally 30" +

I must have mistaken what Mr woodyard said @ £800 for 2" pippy oak, perhaps it was £80.00 a cube.I'll try and ring him tomorrow.
At the cheaper end, We're Not talking railway sleepers here at £42.00 a cubic ft, (Above), this is furniture grade Pippy oak, has to be £80.00 a cube.
Regards Rodders

Eric, I do believe I've got this price wrong.

All Oak, ash elm and chestnut kiln dried and 3 grades to choose from
About 100 miles from you, m5, junction 27, A361 South Molton
http://www.ukhardwoods.co.uk/

07809773492, ask for Tom, usually opens Tuesdays and thursdays 8'til 12 but any time for big orders.
He had 2 big butts cut and stacked 2 weeks ago thursday.
HTH Regards Rodders

That's the place!
If you've driven there, the turning is on the brow of the hill just before the MILL-ON-THE-MOLE.
Regards Rodders

£42 a cube is our standard price for kiln dried, prime grade pippy oak. Currently have around 200 cubic meters in stock in France and around 20 in England

Eric The Viking":19qua92i said:
Rodders, which yard was it?

I've been looking for some nicely figured stuff for a while for a table - the stuff you mentioned sounds too dear, but, if he regularly gets decent stuff in, Devon isn't an impossible distance from Bristol...

Cheers,

E.

Eric, Did you get round to ringing Tom at UK Hardwoods on the pippy oak price yet?
If not I'll do it myself Tuesday.
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rod, but after a pretty large (and crucially unexpected[\i]), car service bill, I've had to postpone any thoughts of furniture for the time being. They're now on my 'check first' list for the future.

E.

PS: Have used the same, independent garage for around 20 years, but they're simply becoming far too expensive. The've been very good in the past, but I think we're being taken advantage of and I've had far better quotes elsewhere for major jobs like clutch and timing belt replacements. It's a shame.

Eric The Viking":2ibu90gv said:
Thanks Rod, but after a pretty large (and crucially unexpected[\i]), car service bill, I've had to postpone any thoughts of furniture for the time being. They're now on my 'check first' list for the future.

E.

PS: Have used the same, independent garage for around 20 years, but they're simply becoming far too expensive. The've been very good in the past, but I think we're being taken advantage of and I've had far better quotes elsewhere for major jobs like clutch and timing belt replacements. It's a shame.

Sorry to hear that the dreaded motoring costs have delayed the furniture.
I'll ring tom and check out his costing for Pippy oak and post it.
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back