Pipe freezing kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup...well not specifically this one but a similar product. Follow what they say on the can and it works. Don't have the pump running though :wink:

EDIT: Just seen you've got a combi....so not sure what difference the pressure in the system will do. Mine's a vented system.

Thanks Roger

The blurb refers to mains water, so I assume the pressure won't be a problem.

I wondered if the inhibitor would have any effect on the freezing point.

Cheers

Dave

Waka":aq49wnrm said:
I've used that system on central heating, works a treat and saves a lot of time, go for it.
+1. Inhibitor won't make a difference. Bear in mind though that they only freeze for about 30 minutes max - though it can be topped up with another can of freeze spray.

If you need to have the pipe frozen for longer, reducing the pressure may help - you can easily bleed the pressure out of the system without draining it down completely. Otherwise just freeze the pipe up long enough to cut it and put an isolator on it.

HTH Pete

I've used them in the past, and have a couple of kits I keep handy for emergencies.

In my experience, they don't work all that well. I think you're right that inhibitor lowers the freezing point.

The tricks I've found are these:

• Freeze a horizontal pipe if you can, as it will freeze faster
  • Make sure you tie string round the foam collar near the ends, especially at the bottom if you're doing a vertical pipe.
  • use electrical tape to seal round the slit where the thin plastic pipe goes,
  • squirt *loads* in - more than seems right!
  • leave it for a good long while before attempting to cut the pipe,
  • Have some dry towels handy, to wrap round the pipe and collar if you can, to improve the insulation.

To be honest though, if you turn off both ends of all the other rads and isolate the boiler, you'll lose very little water when you drain down, and it's less stressful than wondering if the blowlamp is melting the ice! If the system is clean, trap the water in a bucket and use it to re-fill the new rad, so dilution of inhibitor is minimal.

If you're fitting new valves to an old rad, which I've had to do here a few times, a good trick is to hacksaw some slots through the conical thread of an old spigot (the bit that screws into the rad itself), parallel to the run of the pipe. This makes a handy thread cleaner - a poor man's 1/2" pipe-thread tap. It's much easier then to fit the new one, and far less likely to leak if the threads are clean.

I've used one too. Worked perfectly and made a really awkward job possible.

Mind you I wasn't daring enough to use a blowlamp nearby - I used some of these

20700.jpg

copper bodied push fit fittings which are also brilliant and what a lot of professionals have gone over to using.

No problem I use them all the time bought mainly from toolstation and screwfix. Not cheap but a great timesaver.
I do exactly the same as eric the viking and wrap a towel around. Make sure you have everything ready and prepared and work reasonable quicky. I'd never use a blowlamp anywhere near - you could struggle to make a joint anyway if any water turned to steam and blew through the solder joint - not worth the risk IMO.

No problem with your combi either - turn off the main water supply to it and swith off the boiler. Make sure you top up the system pressure to compensate for lost water before you turn it back on or you could get airlocks or damage the system.
if you don't already know - look for a "filler loop" and the pressure guage (often inside the boiler casing).

Bob

Don't just buy one canister - if for some reason it goes **** up the last thing you want to be doing is going down the shops to buy another one. Also have a couple of push fit isolators or stop ends to hand because if the plug of ice starts to go then it is likely to come out very quickly.

Thanks all

Plan A is to fit a couple of compression isolating valves to give me plenty of time.

Cheers

Dave

Back