Pinning a cam lid on a turned box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Established Member
Reaction score
Making a 3 part box where the middle and top sections turn on a pin see quick sketchup drawing, I want the pin hidden on the top, so was going to drill halfway through from the underside and pin it with a wooden dowel, so that the top and middle sections swing out, but If I glue it to the top whats to stop the lid being pulled off as I won't be able to glue it to the base, had though of using a threaded bold, with the head under the base, but bound to be a better way ?

I have googled it but cant seem to find anything suitable, anyone any ideas ?

twist box.png

Attachments

• twist box.png
    twist box.png
    127 KB · Views: 1,058
How about:
The dowel needs a wide bit at the top, to act as a sort of circlip (so that the dowel has a mushroom head type thing)
Drill a hole in the top, the size of the mushroom head
In the recess that is left, fit a cover, by gluing just the sides.

That isn't very clear so how about a quick drawing:
IMG_1194.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,046
Interesting, I'm not sure i'll have enough depth in the top, but I've got a test blank on the lathe that I'm playing with before I commit to turning the bocote blanks into firewood, I will check it out tonight if I make it back into the workshop cheers.

Lexx

You can buy brass tubing and brass rod which slide together. Sizes down to 0.1mm.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/engineeri...-the-albion-alloys-range-of-precision-metals/

Cut off a small length of tubing, say half thickness of bottom box and solder on to the rod.

Fit a piece of tubing through top half of the bottom and all the way though the middle. Glue it in the bottom but a sliding/rotating fit on the middle box.

Cut off a piece of rod, with the soldered sleeve attached, such that it goes up through the sleeve and glues in the top of the box.

Each section of the box should swing independently.

Bill

Thanks for all the reply's, I did my test run and I learnt a few things, I need to leave a bit more meat on the rim for stability when opened, and also that 3 segments may be a bit too much, doesn't give much in useable depth, will either have to loose the middle segment or shrink the depth of the top.

I ended up using a galvanised flat headed nail, which seems to be alright, simple but not attractive (although you wont see it), im unsure about its long term stability, will investigate the other options before I turn the real one.

A few pics of the test piece ...

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 880
  • IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 880
Back