Pink Ivory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've managed to get some Pink Ivory blanks and wondered how it turns?
I'm almost too scared to mount it on the lathe given what I've read about it, rarity and cost etc.
I was lucky enough to pick some up from a guy selling his blanks through ill health, but don't want to ruin them as I doubt I'll ever get any more! :)

It's rare and expensive? I had a load of it in a mixed box, I used a lot of it for making tool handles and other do dads.

Seems expensive to me too

http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/timber ... -5-x-5-x-2

2 x2 x 18 inch spindle blank for £37.00 from Stiles and Bates

I was only asking as a relative newbie, and finding nearly every site classing it as rare, so I'll bide my time before turning it, as I'd hate to ruin what I have

Maybe perceptions of costs vary, perhaps I'll turn some Ash do dads instead.

Sorry my post wasn't worded well. It seems it is expensive, I just had no idea and assumed it wasn't since I had so much of it in a cheap box.

Mal

It turns well. Smooth and even as it is relatively dense. Takes a good finish, but can look a little 'bland' and certainly can look as if it is not very expensive, unlike snakewood.

Question answered!!

I've used small sections in the past for Pens and the like, finials and other small items. I have one or two pieces squirrelled away 'for a rainy day!'

Phil

Back