Pine parquet flooring finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedQueenie

Reaction score
Hiya after getting lots of useful advice about some furniture I'm restoring I thought I might ask for some help regarding our pine parquet floor.
We discovered it about 7 years ago in our newly bought house under a horrendous neon pink carpet in the front room. We also found out we had a massive leak under the floor. We got someone round and lifted all the parquet and set it aside for a few months to dry. We then sorted out the leak and got the man back to put the parquet back sand and finish it. We chose a wax finish and I think he used Osmo. As soon as he had finished we knew something was wrong as there were cloudy white patches all over the place. He said he had never had that happen before and there wasn't anything he could do. After a bit of arguing he agreed to resand the floor and try a different product. He used Lobasol Market and although it wasn't quite the finish we wanted there were no cloudy patches.
It's now been about 5 years and I'm redecorating and thought I might try and do the floor myself. I've only heard good stuff about Osmo and I'm wondering if the cloudiness could have been due to some of the blocks being damp and it give it another go? If that is the case could someone recommend a product and also if it's possible to do the room half at a time as I've nowhere to put the furniture that's in it now :)

Hiya is anyone able to help? Even just a possible explanation for the cloudy patches on the floor would be fab.

The cloudy patches sound like what happens when osmo raw is applied to thickly. The oil has a slight white tint which helps keep the wood a more natural colour. Perhaps the finish was put on too thick ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This was the first time I played with osmo raw.
0da1b314589ef0db23443b02748884f6.jpg

I read that over application could make parts of it white and deliberately left a small pool of oil right in the crevice as an experiment. As you can see it went white/pva glue colour. It needs to be applied thinly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That could be it. I forgot to say he didn't sand the floor level, so there were and still are a few dips. I did find some photos which may help. Could anyone tell me if there is something I can put on the floor just to nourish it without sanding? It's been years since anything has been done and it feels and looks dry.

Attachments

• 20130925_162934.jpg
    20130925_162934.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20130925_162946.jpg
    20130925_162946.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
Back