Pine Bed Finshing advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigibbons

Established Member
Reaction score
Im nearly finished making a pine bed for myself but am not sure on what finish to go with?

I was thinking of a spray on Sanding sealer to start with but not sure what else to do with the wood. I dont want a dark finish and dont want to use a liquid wood stain as i find them messy and blotchy.

The bed will be in a fairly small room and next to a radiator if this matters.

Any suggestions and finsh examples are much appreciated!

My personal preference for pine is clear wax - as you say,a lot of other finishes can look blotchy.
Think it would still be ok near a radiator.

Andrew

As stated, pine usually darkens as time goes by, so this is something to bear in mind.

For a bed a sanding sealer (I'd suggest Shellac Sanding Sealer as it is quick drying but easier to apply over a larger area, although most others would be suitable) would be a good start; after sanding it back I'd then go for a clear paste wax (such as our WoodWax 22 Clear or Briwax), apply fairly sparingly then buff up with a soft cloth or a brush.

You could leave out the sealer but using it does make life a bit easier and give you a better finish.

Ok thanks guys!

I think i will go with the Sanding sealer and a Clear Wax.

Terry, Shellac Sanding Sealer is that avalable in spray cans? I was just thinking it would be alot easyer to apply into awkard corners. Although i dont really know how normal sealer is usually applied?

I will take some pics of the bed soon, its my first joinery project.

Thanks, Si.

Hi Si

Shellac Sanding Sealer is not available in spray cans, it'd probably clog the nozzle in no time at all. I appreciate your comments about getting it into the nooks and crannies but with a spray there's a danger that you could get a build up in corners etc.
Apply it with a brush, you'll find it easy enough to do.

Hope this helps

Terry Smart":1uvkuo2u said:
Hi Si

Shellac Sanding Sealer is not available in spray cans, it'd probably clog the nozzle in no time at all. I appreciate your comments about getting it into the nooks and crannies but with a spray there's a danger that you could get a build up in corners etc.
Apply it with a brush, you'll find it easy enough to do.

Hope this helps

Thanks thats alot of help!

Latest posts

Back