Pimp my router ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewC

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've got a pretty cheap and cheerful router (B&D KW900E). I'm not a router devotee so it does for most of my needs. Trouble is the edge guide sucks - no fine adjustment and seems to wander when you tighten its locking nuts. The plunge is somewhat unsubtle but it does have a turret and microadjust depth stop.

What would people recommend in terms of after market edge guides and anything else that would make it more pleasurable to use ?

The only fence I've found online is the Micro Fence http://microfence.com/mf/default.html

Surely there are others but Google isn't being my friend today.

It seems relatively easy to make an edge guide but the microadjust is something that is attractive and harder to DIY

That look's pretty much exactly what you get on the Trend T5. Many and this fourm don't like the T5 but I find mine fine for what I use it for. I paid £60 for it second hand in neearly new condition. I think that or something similar would be your best option rather than spending money on a tool you are not getting on with.

I have looked at getting that fence. I think MarkW's Ryobi has a similar micro adjustable fence, hopefully he'll confirm. I have 3 Triton's, so I wouldn't want to buy any more routers! ;)

The only thing is I'm not sure that microfence fits the Triton because it attaches via rods...

Actually, I'm sure you could DIY something similar?

Wizer

I've also considered adding a micro adjust fence to my Tritons, the supplied fence is a bit rubbish. As you've stated, the problem we have is that it's not fixed with the standard rod system, so we're a little stuck.

Has anyone made such a fence for the triton range?? Pics would be good!!

Cheers

Aled

Aled Dafis":5njjuo7s said:
I've also considered adding a micro adjust fence to my Tritons, the supplied fence is a bit rubbish. As you've stated, the problem we have is that it's not fixed with the standard rod system, so we're a little stuck.
The supplied fence may seem "a bit rubbish" when compared to some other micro-adjusting wonders available on other routers, but you seem to forget that the Triton was made primarily for inverted use in a table and many would not even consider it for hand-held use and have said as much in earlier posts. As an extended baseplate it works well. Due to the four tapped holes in the router's base, retro-fitting of the more conventional rod system is not possible.

However, the stainless baseplate and fence slide would readily adapt for any number of micro-adjustment "modifications" with a little ingenuity and I would think all sorts of additional bases could be made which incorporate a fence design.

I've never bothered to try, because all my micro-adjusting takes place on my router table fence.

Ray.

Back