Pillar Drill Restoration.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scouse":160xs96i said:
That's a very good question and I'm glad you asked... :?

To be honest I did read that, but this drill just has a small lever which by way of a worm gear type thing moves the horizontal gear up onto the pivoting arm, or down out of it's way. Setting the lever half way, doesn't really achieve anything. I have also tried shouting at it, but that didn't seem to work either. :lol:

drill_adjust.jpg

If that's the contact plate that connects with the cam on the big wheel. it looks as if rotating it would contact the cam to a greater or lesser extent.

It also looks as if it can rotate.

It's also too complex a shape to be "fit for purpose" if it were just a simple contact.

Waddya' reckon?

BugBear

Sadly it is a needlessly complex shaped simple contact. the arm is a single casting. I have another drill the same as this one, stripped down and awaiting renovation on which the arm is also a single casting.

The only time the shape might come into play is if the drive wheel is moved to the other speed position. The cam is located around the central spindle of the big wheel, so moving the wheel position to the higher or lower hole to change speed will alter the point at which the cam contacts the contact plate highlighted in your picture.

Or at least I think so, I'm beginning to confuse myself now! :lol:

Scouse":2etpczd5 said:
Sadly it is a needlessly complex shaped simple contact. the arm is a single casting.

Fair enough - I guessed wrong. I thought the dimple was a pivot.

BugBear

Hello guys.

I'm new to this so have a question.

I've recently picked up same Union A1 drill and it needs a bit of TLC.

It would seem however that mine is set up for the lower speed or 1:1 (I think) ratio.

Does anyone know how to shift it into "second"?

I'd think it needs removing the shaft with crank wheel and placing it in the lower position so the planetary is engaged but how to do that I'm none the wiser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

The main crank wheel just slides out and into the lower hole or the hole within the gear, as in the picture above. I've done a few of these now and it is common for the wheel to need some encouragment to come out, with a rubber mallet for example. After cleaning and lubricating it comes out much easier.

No Leccy? You must be using one of those gas trubine computers and hand crank cameras to post the thread and piccys. It's amazing what those Victorians could come up with eh :D Nice restore btw.

David

How easy/difficult is it to get hold of one of these machines? I'd love to have one and they look like they'll be still around long after all their electric cousins have ended up on the scrap heap.

Andy Kev.":11c51uhz said:
How easy/difficult is it to get hold of one of these machines? I'd love to have one and they look like they'll be still around long after all their electric cousins have ended up on the scrap heap.

I got mine by setting up a 'followed search' on eBay and waiting until there was one near me. They are often offered 'collection only' by people who want to get the space back but don't want to just scrap or dump them. That's good, as it means you can get one cheap, especially if it has a little rust. In contrast, I think that if someone is going to go to the trouble of crating it up, they will expect to get more cash for it.

Of course the fancy two speed models are not as common as the basic ones.

I'm assuming you have contacts in UK or come over here enough for this to work, or that they are just as common on German eBay - they must have sold in Germany at the same period as here and in the USA.

Andy,

unfortunately I don't have the contacts in the UK any more who would be in a position to organise such a thing. I'll settle for making a regular weekly check of German ebay to see what comes up (all comes to him who knows how to wait). So far I've seen one vaguely similar bit of kit but it was an absolute monster and frankly looked a bit primitive.

Servus Andy,

I love these old drilling machines and own of course a Union #1. I don't think they were exported to Germany in large numbers due to WW2 and later because there where a lot of similar machines of German origin.

I got mine through ebay UK, just asked the seller it he would ship it abroad. It's even sufficient that the seller packs it carefully, you can organize a pick-up by a courier easily online from Germany. I have done this many times.

Good luck, nice working machines!

Claus

Servus Andy,

I used this one: https://www.dercourier.de/default.asp, because you can hire them from your place in Germany. Actually this is an agent, the courier it GLS.

Now look on ebay UK, there are several drills offered. Search for "pillar drill" and/or "drill press" together with "vintage, old, Union".

Good luck

Claus

Does anyone know anything about the "Union" company? There seems to be virtually no info on it anywhere...

Rhyolith":1c28xxge said:
Does anyone know anything about the "Union" company? There seems to be virtually no info on it anywhere...

Try Boxford Union.

Apologies, I jumped to the end of this thread and presumed we were discussing slightly more modern drills... like Boxford Unions! :oops:

I realise that it is a while now since you restored you drill but it remains the best source of information about this model. I recently bought on in pretty great condition - all teeth on wheels and cogs all present, undamaged or worn. I have hit a slight problem though that while the arm advancing the quill does its job happily when not under load but once drilling it does not advance. Can only think that the spring returning the arm might need replacing but was wondering if you had similar issues? Any light shed would be very much appreciated.
Yours
William

Could you photograph or even better video the problem? I struggle to help with these things from written info only. If not there will probably be others on here who know something :)

I had one of these drills, it was in a lock up garage that the travelers broke into, all the metal went and the hand bench drill. :cry:
Great job you've done. =D>

I believe the rate of feed is set by the position of the ratchet pawl plate, slacken and move it to increase/decrease the number of teeth it traverses

Back