Pillar drill motor question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old atlas pillar drill with an underpowered motor and it is too fast,2400rpm.
My question is what motor should I be looking at? 2 pole,4 pole, induction etc.
Loads for sale on the bay new and secondhand, I also have an Hitachi speed controller which I may use.
I am thinking about 3/4 hp.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks.

A 4 pole motor normally runs at c1500RPM at 50 hz versus a 2 pole motor that runs at 3000RPM.

I would check the frame size you need which is normally on the motor plate and order the biggest motor HP in that frame size with 4 poles. A cap start and a Cap run would be ideal for single phase. You will need to check your motor starter has a sufficient rating for the motor you choose. If the starter has a current limiter on it you may need to either set it for the new motor or get a larger rated unit.

As deema says, an induction motor is a single speed motor so I don't think you can use a "speed controller" with it. The only way to change speeds would be either changing the winding configuration, 2, 4 or 8 pole or use a multi pulley system. Most pillar drill have this method of speed changing.

Squib, I think I have the floor version of your Atlas drill. From memory, it has an under-1HP motor and I've never had it bog down in anything - including mild steel plate. The speed changes are by lifting the top cover and re-arranging the belt onto different pulleys inside the head casing. Good motors are three figures, even for this drill. Are you sure you need to 'upgrade'?

Sam

The problem with my motor is it is too fast even on the slowest pulley configuration so I need a 1400rpm one and just thought to put a sensible size one on.

Just to join in the conversation, I have a floor standing Denbigh pillar drill which also has a motor that goes around at lunatic revs per minute, it makes a very good rotary wire brush, part cleaning station.
As I would want to drill up to 1/2" in steel and I think I can see away to convert it to a three pulley system, would a 4 pole 3/4Hp motor be Ok?

Back