pillar drill depth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":39nxizhu said:
I've found this a useful thread.
Presumably the drill in question is one of the little far Eastern bench top models.
I'm aware of them and was a little bit tempted that you could get something apparently useful for so little. But like Bob, I have a nice old Wolfcraft drill stand which gives me 75mm of travel. I also have a nice old hand powered drill which gives about 80mm. They fill the available space. (Along with a little lightweight Miller's Falls model.)
So thanks for the warning, I shall continue to resist temptation.

And I reckon Coley's suggestion in post 3 is the simplest, least bother workaround.

Andy, I have the axminster version. It had several faults on arrival (unfortunately to be expected with todays machinery) but I've settled into it very well apart from the silly 50 mm depth.
I finally sold my wolfcraft stand. Bought it for a tenner, kept it and used it constantly for 20 years, and sold it for 20 euro. No probs with that.
My biggest reason for the change was the noise of the big ryobi drill I had in it. It gave me a headache working close to it and my only speed control was the electronic dial in the grip, so if i wanted slow, I had no torque at all. Impossible to use large forstner bits in it.
This drill is almost silent, the belt rumble is the noisiest bit.
I find I'm using it much more than I thought I would, and the makita battery drill is getting more down time.

Ha ha.

Buy it Bob. Go on. Doooooo itttt. Give in to the slope. The shiny is to tooooo much to beeeeear...

It's soo redddddd. And orannnnngeish. Buyyyyy it....

:D

at least I wouldnt have to spend months refurbing it, would I Chris?
(lmao)

Not that I'm biased at all, but this was my last red and shiny;

red and shiny.jpg

Attachments

• red and shiny.jpg
    red and shiny.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back