Picture Posting for the Technologically Challenged

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
We seem to have had a lot of folks struggling with posting pics, so I thought I'd try and find the easiest way possible and lay out a how-to on that method and that alone, as clearly as I could. I may have failed...

All you need is the image you want to post saved on your computer and that's it. No accounts, passwords, nuffink. Here's how:

1. Go to http://freeshare.us/

2. Look down at where it says "Upload Your File Here :"

127fs3778522.jpg

3. Make sure the "File" button is checked

4. Click on "Browse"

127fs3778859.jpg

5. Find the image you want to share - probably somewhere in "My Pictures" - and click on it.

6. Click on "Open"

127fs3779417.jpg

7. You can see the location of your file you've selected in the box, ready to be uploaded.

8. Make sure you select "Public" or we can't see it

9. Click "Upload it!" and sit back.

127fs3779918.jpg

10. The page will automatically load showing the image you've just uploaded (congratulations) and a bewildering array of options. Don't panic, just copy the text in the highlighted "Forum thumbnail (recommended)" box...

127fs3780715.jpg

11. ...and paste it in the forum message posting box. Yeah, you're going to need two windows open for this - time to switch to using a tabbed browser maybe? :wink:

127fs3780962.jpg

12. Avoid embarrassing red crosses and missing images by clicking on "Preview"...

127fs3781749.jpg

13. ...and you can see if everything's worked. If you can't see the image in the Preview, we're not going to see in the submitted message either.

127fs3782021.jpg

14. That idea is the reader can click on the thumbnail to see the large version (which may be essential until someone does a re-sizing tutorial...), so just to make sure click on it and you should get...

127fs3782483.jpg

Everyone enjoys a Lee Valley delivery. :lol:

Hope that might help someone a bit and that Adam doesn't mind 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Edit: And for resizing your images, see Shultzy's post later in this thread.

Thats great. A good bit simpler than mine.

I think either A) that should become the new "de-facto" sticky and I'll let mine slip away, B) or both be stickies, C) or combine them.

I don't think B is a good idea.

Adam

Great stuff Alf - used to use PhotoB but will use this now instead. Hope the parrot didn't have a munch at what was in the box :lol: - Rob

Better wait and see how the target audience finds it before any patting on the back. Any takers to give it a try and report back?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
so simple even the village silly person could follow it.

Nice to see you've got some help in the Goods-In department too.

Andy

An excellent tutorial as usual, Alf =D> I'm one of those who's been struggling and I've just cracked it (which is why I've been posting a few pics over the last couple of days) - should have waited for your tutorial :lol: Even the digital camera has been driving me mad - it's all those self-explanatory, incomprehensible symbols. Or perhaps it's just me :? :? :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sort of, Chris; I moved the chair in a parallel direction to the PC sitting 3 feet away. :lol: I did it on the Mac first then it dawned on me it was likely to cause consternation amongst the largely Window-using populace, so re-did it in Windoze. It was much, much easier on the Mac. :(

Cheers, Alf

alf, that is FANTASTICLY EASYER (i think)i can do it. i will give it a go . cheers mate. :sign3:

Sorry Alf, I went to use your recommended site, but the PC I am using (Australian Library) refused me access. No doubt other type set ups would also be refused.

Individual machines being set-up to deny access is another thing altogther - if that's the case, then you just have to follow the slightly more complicated options in Adam's post. I don't claim this is a cure-all, 'cos it ain't.

Cheers, Alf

It may be me, and it probably is :( , but I can't upload a new avatar successfully, so I've gone back to PhotB and its worked - Rob

Rob, I've just had a little play (hence the avatar change) and I can only assume you didn't edit the code from the "Forum thumbnail (recommended)" box? Two ways to do it. Either take that code:
Code:
[URL=http://m1.freeshare.us/view/?127fs4211316.jpg][IMG]http://m1.freeshare.us/127fs4211316_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

And remove the bits you don't need:
Code:
http://m1.freeshare.us/127fs4211316_th.jpg

(Note you have to leave the image address for the thumbnail - that's the one between the "img" tages with _th just before .jpg)

Or, you can resize the image to avatar size before you upload (my preferred method 'cos you avoid the black file size box at the bottom) and then instead of copying the code in the "Forum thumbnail (recommended)" box, use the address in the "Forum avatars, sigs, etc." box instead:

127fs4212570.jpg

For the avatar you don't need to add any "img" tags in the profile, but you knew that. :D

Hope that was the problem?

Cheers, Alf

Alf - thanks for that, I used all the permutations except the one with the big red arrow in your pic #-o.....the truth is out there :lol: (daughter has just watched all the X Files on DVD :( ) - Rob

After following your arrow I am posting to see if I can change my avatar
as the preview dos not show if it works

Nigel
Yes it does thanks again Alf

As an addition to Alf's post she asked about resizing, Here's how to do it:-

Click on the "Show Advanced Options" on the first screen

This will give you this screen

Check the "Resize image" box (its shaded red in my image) and put the width and height sizes, in pixels, into the appropriate boxes. 800x600 is a good size that won't overload those on dial-up. Then continue with Alf's excellent tutorial.

For those of you that are interested the freebie software "XnView" allows bulk resizing as well as other operations. Its good to resize before uploading to a photo site as it saves on bandwidth as well as storage space. There is also a batch renamer (BulkRename) which is helpful when dealing with a large number of photos.

Latest posts

Back