Picture Framing Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Been doing a bit of picture framing over the last couple of days, and this is the fully adustable jig I now use on my Kity 419. We tend to buy a couple of pictures or prints when we go on holiday and over the years I've framed up quite a lot. I used to reinforce the corners in the traditional way by hand cutting a couple of slots and glueing some veneers. This method was sort of alright, but never really satisfactory as the saw kerf never matched the veneer thickness. I now use this jig, which screws onto the saw protractor. The construction can easily be seen from the pics and its relatively safe as the frame is held securely by a toggle clamp...and before anyone shouts at me, yes, it has to be used with the riving knife and crown guard removed. It is tho', a very useful little jig to construct and has saved me a lot of time fiddling about with veneers.
First couple of pics show the jig from two sides:

jig004.jpg

jig003.jpg

This one shows the jig in use with the frame clamped in place:

jig002.jpg

The last pic shows a completed frame in the lounge, slightly out of focus:

jig005.jpg

The inserts are now the same width as the saw blade and are much easier to glue in place and can also be made from a contrasting timber which looks,in my view, quite good. It also has the added benefit of making the joint much stronger - Rob

Sorry, all I'm getting are messages saying Oops photo no longer available.

cheers

George

If you want me to whinge, at least show me the photos....... :lol:

Scrit

The crown guard isn't a real issue, nor is the lack of riving knife because you're unlikely to get a kickback with a jig used this way, but for your own sake you really need to add a small tunnel guard at least at the rear of the sled and possibly a limiter stop to ensure sled cant't be pushed so far as to leave the blade exposed whilst running

There, that wasn't too painful, was it? :wink:

Scrit

feel free to slap me if this sounds daft or simple but could you have used a biscuit jointer to cut slots and then machined your wood to fit.

just wondering for myself really as havent got round to constructing jigs yet not that good.

shaun

Pictures are fine now. That's a great-looking jig, Rob, and I agree, frames look nice with reinforced corners as well as being very strong.

Paul

Nice Job Rob.

I just made a picture frame this weekend as a gift for my brother-in-law and routed the spline using the woodrat - your solution would seem to be considerably cheaper :wink: :lol:

Hadn't considered a tunnel guard, as Scrit quite righty mentioned, tho' I think I will build a little cover for the exposed blade....belt and braces - Rob

Nice Jig Rob.
You could also cut down a riving knife so that it does not protude over the top of the blade and use that with the tunnel guard

Latest posts

Back